Semi-Gloss versus Flat Paint in Bathroom

tomato_girlMarch 18, 2006

My husband went to buy paint at Home Depot and was told that a semi-gloss is better in the bathroom. They said it is less likely to fade than flat and is better in a bathroom.

I hate semi-gloss. Is there any truth to the 'fading' or bathroom statement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

I've never heard of that. However, semi-gloss is much better in a bathroom because it resists moisture and cleans easier than flat.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 9:37PM
disneyrsh

Get eggshell, it doesn't have that gross cheesy shine like semi-gloss, but scrubs and holds up to moisture much better than flat. I like the American Traditions eggshell at Lowe's.

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 8:52AM
gin_gin

I've never heard of the fading thing either, but the higher the sheen the eaiser it is to clean. I usually go with eggshell in bathrooms & kitchens which cleans eaiser than flat, but not as shiny semi gloss. Also another thing to consider is that the higher the sheen the more any imperfections in your wall will show. Around here it seems that the walls are never perfect.

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 8:53AM
texasredhead

Through out our house where ever there are painted walls and trim, we have used Sears Easy Living semi-gloss wall and trim paint. It is a rich looking paint without a lot of gloss. It is very durable and easy to clean. There is also a satin style paint which can best be described as a flat semi-gloss. In my estimation, a regular flat paint lacks character.

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 9:33AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Rule No. 1. Don't seek painting advice at Home Depot unless the clerk knows painting.

You can choose an eggshell or a satin finish and get mold/,mildew proof too if you use the Zinsser PermaWhite bathroom paint.

It's tintable in pastels and it's available at HD. The good thing about it is, you don't have to ask them anything..go pick it from the shelf, have them tint it, pay for it and leave. Now, you're not confused and you have the right product.

Painting doesn't need to be difficult. :) (I'm smiling)

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: PermaWhite

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 5:02PM
redbazel

I buy the eggshell for my kitchen and my baths. It's not shiny, and it wipes very easily.

Nice smile, Michael. How's the door business coming along?

Red

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 5:14PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Red,

Wood windows and entry doors...coming along nicely.

I'm accountable for sales and product seminars to 8 large dealers that buy our products. I miss the in-touch business of painting and being with my customers for days and weeks at a time, but I'm not missing the physical demands of painting everyday. I have gained 3 lbs. Don't tell JamieS!

Thanks for asking!

Michael

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 8:42PM
michellelisa

Oops. We are painting the master bath in our new home. First coat was a dark orange satin paint from Sherwin Williams. We accidentally bought flat paint for the second coat and didn't notice until we finished. I'm afraid of it not being able to handle moisture well. Especially above the shower. Should we paint a third coat, this time with satin again?? Is it worth it?

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 10:46PM
Faron79

Yes Michelle,
IMO it's worth doing the last coat in Satin. You DO need that outermost layer to be the cleanable/moisture-resistant coat.
Sorry!
Faron

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Kitchen cabinets
Can someone here give me the names of a few sites for...
Optimist999
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™