Removal and reinstall of existing granite countertop

EllenB124April 7, 2013

We installed a granite countertop many years ago. We now want to replace our 26 year old kitchen cabinets but keep the granite. Got a quote from a company to remove and reinstall the granite with breaking one seam. Has anyone had this done and, if so, what was your experience. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Madeline616

Is your granite 2cm or 3cm? Did they talk about the risk of breakage? Seems, especially with 3cm granite, that breakage would be a significant risk.

I had granite removed in my entire kitchen (replaced with marble). The contractor was able to remove the island without breaking it, and I gave it to a friend who installed it on his island.

We didn't re-use the rest of the countertops, but if I remember correctly they came off without breakage.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:18PM
EllenB124

Madeline- how thick was your granite? I believe ours is 3 cm. we haven't closed the deal with the company yet, but they have assured me they have done this many times. Thanks for your info!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:54PM
island

I don't know the risk, but was hoping to save my granite peninsula to be refabricated to use elsewhere in my home. Please keep us posted how it comes out.

I take it you're keeping the layout the same? If so, are your cabinet boxes in good enough shape that you could reface and get new doors?

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:09PM
cookncarpenter

Granite is pretty tuff stuff. We have removed whole slabs before with no breakage, and here in CA we use 2cm which is more fragile. Care is needed at seams, but it sounds as if your fabricator has it under control.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:21PM
EllenB124

Our cabinets are 26 years old and were contractor grade, so we really want to replace them. And yes, we are keeping the same layout, just changing some of the cabinets to drawers,etc. I will let you know how it all turns out. Still in the process of choosing cabinets! What a process!!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Help withwith quartzite countertops.
Hi all, I'm hoping I can find some information about...
MominMiami
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
Shiloh vs. Diamond - Help!
We are in the process of a large remodel of our home....
jalit1013
Corner Drawers instead of Lazy Susan?
If you have them, do you like them? There are 2 corner...
beekeeperswife
xenon light bars for under-cabinet
based on what I saw in the lighting showroom my electrician...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Classic Chrome Bath Vanity Mirror
Overstock.com
Choose Wall Sconce
Lightology
Bocci | 28.3 Random Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Juno Pro-Series 14 in. Brushed Silver UnderCabinet LED Lighting with Dimming Cap
Home Depot
Energia Bar Stool in Black
$59.00 | LexMod
Missoni Home | Phrae Pouf
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™