Best approch on a drywall crack

PapuZMarch 3, 2014

The corner seams where 2 walls meet was filled with painters caulk as opposed to drywall tape and mud. The caulking is now cracking and I see a wee bit of lift. . In your opinion. should I remove the caulking, then tape and mud, or simply tape and mud on top. I would like to tape and mud on top of the caulking instead of removing it, but am thinking about the differences of expansion and contraction rates of mud on top of caulking. HELP. please and thanks. Inside walls, house,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justinjk

A picture would be best. Is this an inside or outside corner? I would remove the caulk and old Spackle and tape. Use a A sharp utility knife, screw driver and a small putty knife to cut out a space 1/4 wider than tape. This will make it alot easier to tape and spackle and not built out the wall any more than it needs to be

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

Assuming this is a fairly new installation and things are, over time, drying out at different rates. You MAY be able to get away with the patch but I don't think it will last. Better to bite the bullet and clean the old stuff out and begin fresh. Depending upon how deep you have to go to remove the old stuff it may take a few applications to build it out. Let each coat dry thoroughly before adding the next.

This is such a pain in the neck. I know because as I sit here I am looking at a crack in my new wall and ceiling, and I had pros do it. The guy is coming out to look at it today.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
betshsu
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™