Sliding glass doors, what size?

marti8aMarch 8, 2012

We are adding on a dining room about 10x12. The two 12' walls will have windows on one side overlooking the yard and a sliding glass door on the other side for access to patio.

I would like to have doors that are 3 or 4 panel with the opening in the center. Dh isn't crazy about sliding doors anyway but thinks a 4 panel (with 2 sliders that meet in the middle) wouldn't be at all secure.

Are there more issues with security when the unit has more than one sliding door, and are the bigger units (like a 9 foot) less secure than a 6' unit?

Are there any sliding doors with lifetime warranties? Do they fog up sooner than windows? (Our last sliding door was single pane, installed long before double pane and argon gas).

The reason for the slider is the width of the room. I don't think there is room for a regular 32" door to open into the room with people sitting at the table.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

I called the local Milgard rep and the woman who answered the phone didn't even want to talk to me about sliding glass doors. She said no one puts them in anymore. She said to put in French doors that open outward.

I know nothing about that type. Any thoughts on those?

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™