Curb Appeal: Please share your ideas
We recently purchased this house and are fixing up the interior and exterior.
The house is on a postage stamp lot (2,450 sf) which is the standard for this beach town.
I would love to hear your ideas for the front elevation and landscape/hardscape. I think the biggest fault of the house is that it's flat all the way across. Please note the following:
1. The house is already encroaching the 20' required setback to the street so we can't build on to the front of the house.
2. We would like to create a (small) living / seating space out front.
3. Since this picture (Sorry for the car. This was taken before we moved in and I haven't taken a picture since) was taken, we have cut out planters to the side of each door to at least soften the transition from concrete to house. We haven't decided if these will be raised with a pony wall around them.
4. The only ideas we have to add depth to the house were flower boxes below the two windows and possibly awnings above.
5. We are replacing the front door with a dutch door with glass up top.
6. We also want to replace the windows (approx 4'0 x 4'0) as these are cheap vinyl sliders with cheap fake divided lite inserts. We like old looking true divided lite windows but our first quote was at $1,300/opening for the front two windows. Not in the budget.
7. We want to paint the exterior but haven't decided on a colour scheme. We are drawn to classic white cottages with vines trained up the sides but can go other directions as well.
8. We want to replace the garage door. Because of the size of the house, we need the garage for storage and laundry so we will not be parking a car in there. We wish to keep the opening 8' wide as it is now but put a more charming carriage style door there.
9. We don't park on the driveway so the entire front yard (all 500 sf of it) is fair game.
10. We like ornamental grasses, some succulents, and other low water plants. We are most drawn to grasses that will mimic the grasses on the dunes.
11. We are in SoCal.
12. We have removed the visible cabling and satellite dish.
Thanks so much. Sorry for the length of the post.