brick floor?

KelinMDMarch 1, 2014

Hello, I'm remodeling a 1947 cottage. I'd like things to look as old and original as I can. I'd like to put a brick floor in the mudroom. I've found a veneer on Brick Web that is real brick "flats" on a mesh that supposedly install just like tile. The application is usually walls, but they say they can be used on floors�has anyone ever tried this or have any reviews on this product? I can't do real brick due to the thickness and where it will meet the wood floor in the kitchen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Typical face brick is porous in order to better adhere to mortar so it is unsuitable for flooring that must resist abrasion, stains and repeated cleaning.

A better choice might be flooring made of dense hard-fired clay in the shape of a paver or a quarry tile. The tile is only 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick.

The clay quarry tile I prefer is called Heather Brown and made by Dennis Ruabon in Wales. They make a 3 5/8 x 7 5/8 tile that is the same size as the face of a standard American brick.

The photo shows a poor choice of joint grout; it should be darker in order to show off the beauty of the tile and to avoid uneven discoloration over time. They are also available with raised dimples or ridges for safety and in other sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: clay quarry tiles from Wales

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
BathroomBlues
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
homechef59
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™