When is a home considered Priced to Sell?

Zoe52September 8, 2013

And would you even bother saying in a listing that it is priced to sell??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrealestateguy

In my opinion, priced to sell means anything less than fair market value.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 8:51PM
lazy_gardens

My realtor neighbor says "priced to sell" in a listing is a hint to other realtors saying "the owners are mentally at the lowest price they will accept, so don't bother lowballing"

She just sold her house: it was on the market for just over a week. It did not have "priced to sell" in the text.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:11AM
terriks

What would the opposite of "priced to sell" be?
"Priced to sit on the market and then end up netting less in the long run because it was priced too high to begin with"?

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:57AM
rwiegand

Who would bother to list a house priced to not sell? (I know it happens, but it's not what they're thinking at the time).

How many ads have you seen proclaiming a property "Priced to not sell!"?

It's meaningless noise, I'd find something useful to say instead -- "Priced 10% below tax appraisal" or some such.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:57AM
cmarlin20

I also think it is a bit of hype. I love it when I see a listing telling me look quick as it will go soon, then note the stale listing date.
Agents, just write all the positive, the buyer will determine the rest.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 12:21PM
ncrealestateguy

"Priced below tax value" means nothing since the tax value has no meaningful relationship with the market value.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 12:55PM
ellendi

Priced to sell to me would mean a very serious seller. In my neighborhood, our small hours are being snatched up by builders and are being torn down and replaced with larger homes.
Some neighbors have put their homes up just "to see" what they could get, with really no plan on selling just yet.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 10:19AM
rwiegand

""Priced below tax value" means nothing since the tax value has no meaningful relationship with the market value."

That was an example of something that could be meaningful. In our town tax appraisals are updated annually and surprisingly close to actual sale prices. With some exceptions of course it is a very fair and accurate representation of market value. Around here if your number is far off the appraisal you'd better have a pretty good explanation. In your jurisdiction you'd need to pick something else apparently.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 12:52PM
kats_meow

When I see priced to sell in a listing, I find that it generally means that the seller is serious about selling and is listing it at a price that is at the bottom of the market or is a bit more than what you might expect at that price. It does tend to signify that there may not be a lot of room to renegotiate but that is because the seller is already pricing it very realistically.

And - yes- there are plenty of houses out there that aren't really priced to sell. They are priced to negotiate - at best - or priced to hope for an insane buyer - at worst.

We did use Priced to Sell on one house we sold. We had had it listed for 6 months, didn't sell. Took it off the market for a few months, put it back on with a very reduced price where we had very little room to reduce price. My biggest fear was someone would come in and make a ridiculously low offer just because so many houses were selling at a discount. A lot of houses then were selling 10% or 20% below listing price. I didn't want someone think our price was like that and come in offer something really low when we had really priced it already very low. Our price was also in a "lower" price bracket than the old price so we were offering much more for the price than other houses in that price bracket. I felt that "priced to sell" sort of conveyed all that in a shorthand way.

After listing the house we had several immediate showings and had a contract within a few days. The buyers made a very reasonable offer, very close to our listing price.

This post was edited by kats_meow on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 17:43

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Sell Home, Go to Court Or What?
This may be the first time I have posted asking for...
ncrealestateguy
Emotional rollercoaster of home selling
Lately, this process of having my condo up for sale...
Acco
Questions for buying a home with a septic system
I just came across an interesting article about issues...
cbrooks42
Relocating and Finding New Services/People/Businesses
If you are moving or have moved to an unfamiliar town...
DLM2000
Exclusive listing?
We are moving out of state in July, therefore need...
Butternut
Sponsored Products
Trans Globe 1012-1 Chandelier - 26.25W in. - 1012-1 PB
$264.10 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Windsor Rose Mist 8
Home Depot
Ombre Blue Solid Shag Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Holbrook Black Lighting Fixture
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Mission Collection 1-Light Weathered Bronze Wall Lantern P5759
$82.26 | Home Depot
Three Tone Leaves 13 1/2" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Decorative Round Pillows (Set of 2) - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Taupe & Gray Daniela Lavish Home Comforter Set
$59.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™