Help needed with chair cushions

artydecorJune 27, 2013

Recently bought this rocker-glider from a thrift. It had cushions on it that must have been replacements, since they didn't fit well. Can anyone help me with the type of cushions this chair would have had originally?
It's very heavy solid wood, done in a rustic style. I have no idea how old it is, but it's very well constructed and I would think 50s or 60s, if not older. I thought the wood was oak, but now am wondering walnut?
I've googled images for rocker-gliders, but most of them are nursery chairs and don't look anything like this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (zone 7)

It looks like it could be maple. My parents had similar chairs in the rec room at one point, but not gliders. There were separate cushions for seat and back.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:46AM
Olychick

here is a similar one

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutailier Wood Glider

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:51AM
yayagal

It's a dutailier and they sell replacement cushions. Once in a while you can find them on Ebay.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:53AM
Elraes Miller

As Cyn said, just a couple of cushions. Does the chair open up with a foot rest? Just curious.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:57AM
artydecor

No footrest. It could be maple, but the color seems deeper and there is a bit of a grain. I'll have to do some googleing on identifying wood. Any ideas on how old it may be? It's all solid wood, no laminates.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:09PM
bbstx

My parents had a chair similar to that. Both the seat cushion and the back cushion were quite thick, like sofa cushions would be. In fact, the seat cushion may have had some springs or something in it. I really don't remember exactly, but I have that impression. I believe the bottom cushion was a box-cushion shape, and the back cushion was a mockbox like the picture here:

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:13PM
cat_ky

I used to have one many years ago. 50's or 60's is a close approximate of age, since I got married in 1959, and bought the chair shortly after that new from a furniture store. bbstx is correct, it had the box cushions on it, and was very comfortable. I dont remember anymore either, but, I really think it had springs in the seat cushion. It is a bit larger than the ones that are sold currently as nursery chairs, and had much thicker cushions. Mine was maple.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
Should I give up on percale sheets?
JC Penny doesn't have their easy care percale anymore...
marys1000
Colored crystal chandelier
Does anyone have good pics of colored crystal chandys?...
bossyvossy
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Sponsored Products
Millennium Bath Bar by PLC Lighting
$120.00 | Lumens
Baxter Sargento Silver 82-Inch Curtain Rod Cornice
$237.95 | Bellacor
Lummi Side Chair - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Coral Pendant - White - David Trubridge
$450.00 | HORNE
Pre-owned Gold-Colored Demi- Lune Kovacs Lighting Floor Lamp
$375.00 | Chairish