Incontinence: any advice, experience?

glenda_alMay 8, 2013

I'm 73 and think there's a problem!

Especially when I awake in the middle of the night and have a problem running to the "john".

I have read Mayo Clinc recommends certain exercises.

Hold and release method for 10 or more seconds while sitting at computer, driving, etc.

This post was edited by glenda_al on Wed, May 8, 13 at 23:23

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynic

Better be careful where and what you "release"!

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 12:42AM
AnnaKay

No experience yet, Glenda, but I've known much younger women than us who have had similar problems. I have heard that those exercises, done properly, are supposed to be quite effective. I have no idea how long it takes to know if they're working for you, though. I'd sure try it before opting for a prescription or any kind of medical procedure.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 12:50AM
sushipup1

Better get checked for a UTI first.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 12:56AM
marilyn_c

You're talking about Kegel exercises, Glenda. You need to do at least 100 to get any benefit from it. Or that is what I have been told. I started doing them in my 20's and doubled my efforts when I was pregnant and going to Lamaze classes. I still do them. I used to do about 1000 a day. Nope....not incontinent. (They have other benefits as well.)

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 1:19AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Glenda, I heard a woman pharmacist telling a group of women once that if they had an incontinence problem that there are prescriptions for that if we ever need them.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 1:50AM
petaloid

Estrogen cream (prescription) can help strengthen the tissues of the area in question. An extra large absorbent pad inside your undies at night can deal with "accidents."

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:26AM
bigack

I had bladder surgery last fall, the uncomfortable sagging is gone, but I still have little accidents. I do the tightening exercises, but only when I think I won't make it to the potty, need to do them much more! My other problem is GAS, oh my. Check with your gyn doctor, Glenda. It ain't fun getting older!

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:11AM
bengardening

I don't know how to say this. I have this problem especially when I have a cold and have to sneeze and cough a lot. My friend who is a nurse told me to get some Ky jelly. I just bought the cheap Walmart brand. It is called Equate Personal Lubricant. You put some on your 3 middle fingers and Put it on there just like you are wiping after going to the bathroom. For me it really helps. I don't know how ofter you have to do this. I think it would depend on each person. I don't know why it works either.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:11AM
glenda_al

Gals, thank you for your advice and input.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 10:01AM
minnie_tx

why not use a sanitary pad to catch the drips while you try to get to the john a temporay fix

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:18PM
kris_zone6

The first step is a visit to your doctor. There could be a medical reason. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:27PM
fran1523

I think that stress incontinence and incontinence in general comes with age. I've suffered from it for a long time but haven't tried the medication. I wear pads during allergy season when I cough and sneeze a lot, try to do the kegels and do a lot of laundry. As someone said, getting old isn't for wimps.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:37PM
cathyid

There are at least 3 medications that work by paralizing your bladder. I would work on the kegels before I tried any of these.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 3:42PM
nanny98

I have learned so much from having this fall 2 months ago. My therapist (for my shoulder, mind you) is absolutely the most informative person I have ever met. For the first time in my life, during this recovery period, I was having to get up at night and HER explaination was (in nutshell) I was not walking.... and walking strenghtens that "sling" where your bladder rests. She showed me some floor exercises where you open and close your legs and lift your pelvis. (kinda reminiscent of the "old days" lol). I am happy to report that just getting on my feet.... knees gel'ed up... and LEARNING to walk again has stopped those nightly rush visits. She also had a theory about my loss of balance.... that I (might) have given it up myself, by using my walker (13 years) as a support for my painful spine condition; and since my surgery I had not re-learned to use my back as support and the walker as a safety 'catcher' so to speak. Today, I am spending my mornings sans walker...practicing using the swinging of my arms to balance my stride. Every day I get better. I have had the best therapists here doing strenghtening exercises twice a week.... but finding out "what our body just knows about walking" and how I 'gave it away has been a real eye opener. I am still a work in progress.... but I hope to be able to "stride" around the block someday.

Sorry this is so long.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:29PM
kathleenca

Glenda, there was a lengthy discussion of this on the KT four years ago. I found it quite helpful. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Incontinence May 2009

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:28PM
glenda_al

Thanks kathleen for sharing the link, which I read.

My problem is worse, when I'm sleeping and have to rush to the "john".

During the day, not so bad!

I am practicing the Kegel method, and will see if it helps.

Gotta make myself remember it when sitting at the pc, driving, watching tv.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Pay off my house or buy a new one?
I'm thinking about retirement. Thinking about having...
Kathsgrdn
How to express sorrow at this late date?
I just found out a former neighbors daughter was killed...
josephene_gw
request from grams33
This was on another post. I'm just posting here to...
breenthumb
Site of the Day Mar 3
You Fitness - lots of fitness and workout videos http://www.youfitness.me/...
caseynfld
Will it be a break, fracture or sprain?
Will find out at 11:10, Tuesday, if it is one of the...
glenda_al
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™