HELP -bathroom remodel color problem...

pethia1499March 5, 2013

Bathroom was built in 80s and we have a fiberglass yellow tub, yellow toilet and yellow sink in dark oak vanity. Time to update the bathroom a bit. Walls are off white and we are going to put down a grey tile floor. Not wanting to get into pulling the almost new looking yellow tub, my wife wants to change the vanity to a light color (off white) with a granite countertop. Our question is related to the sink: Would it look terrible if we installed either a white or stainless under the granite sink while retaining the yellow toilet and tub? Puzzled....Thoughts appreciated....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

A nice tub costs around $400. A nice toilet can be had for $250. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish here in your renovations.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 9:23AM
kirkhall

Gray and yellow are a popular combination today, but probably not in 5 yrs. So, it will work, though really think about it.

And, as for the sink, yes, by all means change it out. Even if you leave the tub, the tub can be replaced later as needed/desired. But, if you are putting in a nice new vanity, don't require that to be updated again later.

And, get a new toilet. You'll love the water savings.

(I'd do white for both sink and toilet).

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:31AM
hosenemesis

I'd like to see a picture. It sounds interesting. I think the white would look great with the yellow. Black accents might be fun too. I'd keep the toilet, though, so that the tub doesn't get lonely.
Renee

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:08AM
PRO
Bridget Helm

pic would help. what kind of yellow are we talking about here?? white marble counter, with gray tile and backsplash would be best with yellow, but i'd go ahead and get a new tub, toilet, and sink.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 11:41AM
maryinthefalls

We have matching (almost) green tub, sink and toilet and decided to keep the set b/c I didn't want to mix colors. Instead we're doing a black, white and green art deco kind of thingy in our 1920s house. I'd change all or none.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:16PM
annzgw

Do the vanity like you really want it now (don't think I'd do SS ). Then consider having the tub refinished to a color that matches new toilet and sink.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 11:19AM
jmombo

You can buy a nice soak worthy tub for $249 and a high efficiency toilet for $99 at Lowes. I just did this myself. Rather than buy things to coordinate with a color that you don't really love, I'd replace the yellow tub and toilet first. Here are links... Good luck to you! :)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_349094-834-2647.102.011_4294737274__?productId=3394192&Ns=p_product_avg_rating:1#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98923-70476-AT1203-00_4294737213__?productId=3126281&Ns=p_product_avg_rating:1

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:48PM
annkh_nd

My Mom has a gold fiberglass shower in her bathroom (built in 1977). When she changed the color scheme, she hung a cream-colored fabric curtain over the shower, which completely conceals it, unless you are actively getting in or out. Could you do the same with your tub?

I wouldn't put a stainless sink in a bathroom. Toilets are fairly easy to replace, and don't have to be expensive.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:36PM
palimpsest

The factor that often gets left out in these discussions is really the labor. If you use a $200 painted steel alcove tub or a $4000 cast iron alcove tub the labor to replace them in a tiled alcove is approximately the same, and requires demolition of the alcove to do it.

So it's all well and good to say a new tub is inexpensive, so get rid of the yellow, but the tub isn't where the money is, unless it's all DIY.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 12:21PM
tinan

Exactly - tub replacement can get expensive, it's not just the cost of the tub but the plumbing, damage to the walls and possibly floor. You can get them professionally "refinished" (painted with 2-part epoxy) which I hear if you get a reputable company lasts quite a long time.

I would definitely do a white sink and then down the line try to change the toilet and possibly refinish the tub to white, but the sink doesn't have to match the tub.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Potential Contractor wants to have my SS Number ?
Good morning everyone! I'm in the process interviewing...
Marina Yashmanov
Will installing vinyl siding over cedar siding create a rot problem?
We have a friend with cedar siding installed over house...
laughablemoments
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Sponsored Products
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon Series 31 in. x 74 in.
Home Depot
ELK Lighting Matrix 17131/3 Bathbar - Satin Nickel - 15W in. - 17131/3
$176.00 | Hayneedle
Quoizel Platinum Pace Modern Contempo Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Westinghouse 6-1/2 in. x 4-3/4 in. Amber Mist Cylinder 8570000
$19.97 | Home Depot
Revive - Luxury Anthracite Horizontal Designer Radiator 25 x 46.25
Hudson Reed
Zoula Thermostatic Stainless Steel Shower Panel
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for: