11' x 14' Sunroom for $43K Reasonable?

fooltergeistMarch 4, 2008

I had a salesman from Patio Enclosures give me an estimate for an 11' x 14' screen and glass sunroom to be mounted on a pre-existing deck. The original deck needed a 4-foot extension to make the sunroom wider. Otherwise, everything was standard stuff: screen and glass walls, shingled roof, all made by Patio Enclosures. The estimate came up to $43,000, which I thought was extremely high. I read on this forum that a NJ homeowner had his bigger sunroom done for $17,000 in 2000 by the same company. Would inflation account for more than doubling the cost? Any suggestions on what to tell this salesman to entice him to bring the cost down and still have a quality Patio Enclosures sunroom? I live in Virginia 30 miles south of DC. Thanks for any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

If accessible,,i would get estimates from other enclosure outfits and compare. If you have done your homework and like the work that patio enclosures does, show them the other estimates and see if they will compete,(assuming the others come in at a lower bid).

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 10:07AM
glennsfc

Wow! That seems high, but what do I know? I priced a simple 24" extension 9' high by 9' wide section from a different company and it came to $6,000 just for the parts.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 12:23PM
chester_grant

$280 per sq ft when there are no foundations needed - WOW is my reaction.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 10:37PM
florrie2

Last year we got an estimate for a 16 x 16 ft sunroom built on an existing deck. The cost was $26K and we ended up not doing it. We're in Maryland.

Florrie

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 10:36AM
theporchguy

43,000 is a great price. If I could get that for a 11 x 14 I'd do one every week.
Don't get me wrong, I have no idea of what the product is. It may be really good quality, but I'm sure you could get them to sharpen their pencil.

Good Luck,

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 7:15PM
andrelaplume2

Get a GC and find out what it costs to put that size addition on...ie a 4 season, well insulated, heated and cooled addition. I bet its far less!

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 2:17PM
furnone

I agree with andrelaplume2, get prices on a 4 season room. We had a 16x16 sunroom with full basement, for my workshop, done for about $45,000 in 2004. We had gotten a price of around $32,000 for a prefab sunroom on an existing deck.

Price includes electrical with new 100 amp. subpanel, tile floor, extend hot water baseboard heat to both floors, extend A/C duct to sunroom, sheetrocking and taping, vinyl siding and 2 skylights, new 12x16 deck with mahogany decking. Both floors have double french doors.

I did the trim and painting. It is the most used room in our house now. We eat all our meals there unless we have company.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 8:37PM
lenvt

Fooltergeist--

We just had a replacement sunroom estimate for a 11'6" x 10' gable roofed sunroom for $30,500. That is with the current $1000 "sale" savings. It would be a second story room, with a gable roof with access to our deck. The price includes removal and haul away of the old leaking, nasty sunroom, an additional carrying beam and piers next to the house (long roof overhang). The whole thing would be vinyl over extruded aluminum, including the roof, but the glass is low E, and the windows seem good. The warrantee --I am looking at the estimate as I type-- is 50 year transferrable manufacture's product, lifetime glass against breakage for defects. The price includes tax and installation, no wiring.

We need to get rid of the current sunroom from the mid-seventies, because the glass has broken seals, it leaks and is moldy, the temp gets to be 120 in the summer, and one window has now shattered. And of course it is one seriously ugly seventies moon bubble. We are still undecided.

The company that makes the components is called BetterLiving and is located in PA. I've included the link in case it would be helpful to compare products. Good luck with it!

Len

Here is a link that might be useful: BetterLiving company

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 9:56AM
craighartsock

I'm a local builder down in fredericksburg, that sounds crazy if the deck is already there. I haven't seen the site or the house but to do something like that shouldn't be too difficult, just converting the current deck into a screened porch would be an option.... depending on what you want to use it for.
e-mail me if you need a "second opinion" craig@hartsockcustomhomes.com

Craig

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 8:58PM
tmnixon

My husband had one done in 2000 larger than that for 14,900.
I guess it depends on the area and the company you are dealing with. Here is a link you can go to that has a list of prices for different size sunrooms. http://www.theshedlot.com/sunroompricesheet.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunroom price list.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 8:37AM
EngineerChic

I would look for a decent builder before I trusted one of the prefab kits. Just my opinion, but those always seemed like a shady idea to me. When the same company owns the product and installation crew and salesmen, there is no reasonable 3rd party. At least with a GC, if some aspect of a product is junk he will often tell you because he doesn't want to get called back to fix it 3-12 months later.

That is, assuming you have a good GC. I'd give you the name of the guy we used this summer but he's near Boston, I think the commuting costs would be huge ;)

Seriously, you might find you have more and better options, and more control, if you go with a local builder.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 7:19AM
Jumpilotmdm

That salesman may be making $6000. +/- commission on a sale of that size. I'm not expert but it sounds a little high to me.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Matching cabinet door/drawer profiles
I hired a contractor back in February of last year...
LuckyJoe
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Sponsored Products
Blue Xantia Side Table
$149.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Pillow Perfect Pretty Paisley Navy Wicker Loveseat Outdoor Cushion
Overstock.com
Fan Stool in Green
| Dot & Bo
Aris Brushed Nickel Energy Star 54-Inch Outdoor Ceiling Fan
$339.00 | Bellacor