My uncle's quilt

loisflanSeptember 8, 2013

I have always felt a little sad that I began quilting only after my mom died. She would have liked a quilt from me. So I knew I had to make her brother one. Here is the quilt I made for my uncle and aunt from a pattern called Granada by Villa Rosa Designs. I saw this kit in a shop and thought it would be perfect for them. The backing is champagne-colored Minky.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickie1

I like it! And I usually don't like to quilt with browns but the mustard yellow really makes it. Great job!

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 12:25PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I like it, too, Lois! Your uncle will love cozying up with the Minky. :-)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 12:44PM
quiltingfox

That looks nice with warm brown tones. Very modern looking. TFS!

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 1:11PM
lola99

It looks great. I really like the rectangle shapes with the curved quilting. And a minky back just sounds luxurious.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 3:17PM
day2day

Looks warm and cozy. I like the color combo.
Great quilt.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 4:30PM
littlehelen_gw

Lois,
I love that design and your color/fabric choices work great! It's on the modern side of the quilting world which I find myself leaning towards more and more. WOW...this is added to my project list.
I'm sure your Uncle will love it..very nice!
V.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:33PM
magothyrivergirl

Very nice and gentlemanly, yet the minky makes it soft and cuddly -- all men like that combination while they recline and control the remote while switching between golf, football, baseball, and NASCAR.

Is this a kit or did you pick the fabrics? Your placement of the stripes is very appealing. You have such a good eye.

I know what you mean about your Mom~I started sewing as a little kid - my Mom couldn't sew a button on and she was severely color blind - odd for a female, but runs in the family. I used to send her to Singer Sewing Fabric Shop to buy thread & notions for me while I was in school --I always sent fabric swatches and the sweet ladies there knew not to let her leave with the wrong shades. She always supported my sewing and every day that I quilt, I think how much she would have loved a special quilt made just for her.

Your Mom would be proud you made this for her brother. I like that you quilt with emotion.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:59PM
redmary

Very nice! Color combo's are great and must agree that the quilting swirls really are a nice addition to the texture. What is Minky?

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:08PM
redmary

Very nice! Color combo's are great and must agree that the quilting swirls really are a nice addition to the texture. What is Minky?

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:09PM
loisflan

Redmary, Minky is an incredibly soft and cuddly, longer fiber, plush fabric - probably polyester. Babies love it, so I'm told, and so do adults, both male and female. It feels absolutely wonderful. I used it to back my own cuddle quilt.

Marsha, this quilt came as a kit. I usually don't buy kits, because I love to choose my own fabrics, but this one really appealed to me. I always agonize over color placement. Sometimes when I'm finished with a quilt I ask, "How did I ever let that happen?" But generally I'm quite pleased with the results.

Thanks for all the kind compliments.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:39PM
teresa_nc7

Lovely quilt, Lois! I like the corner squares that carry over the color scheme. Well done!

Teresa

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:02AM
quiltnhen

I like the quilt design and the unique color choices. Really great gift.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:33PM
sherryquilts

Love your uncle's quilt. I know what you mean. I have quilts left to me by Grandmas on both sides also by a Great Grandma...wish I had taken quilting up much earlier!

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 11:49PM
bev2009

You've made a lovely quilt. I really like the color combinations, although they are not what I would normally choose for myself. I'm sure your uncle will be pleased.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 9:34AM
petalpatsy

Very nice! I love brown, and I love brown and blue together. It's masculine but cozy. You had a good idea with the pants hangers, too.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™