Fiberglass Door vs. Wood Door

DonchikFebruary 10, 2014

Initially I would think that natural material is better. However, I was told that fiberglass door doesn't warp and virtually indistinguishable from the wood door. What is your opinion? Pros and Cons for fiberglass and wood entry doors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Lots of factors to be included in the opinion.

Things like which direction the door faces. North facing in winter get punished by cold/snow/etc. South facing doors get heat in summer, South facing fiberglas doors have been known to disfigure due to excess heat.

Storm doors can help or hinder a doors longevity.

Pros of wood doors:
Lots of different natural colors.
Lots of intricate details possible.
Strength is usually high

Cons of wood doors:
Wood moves with weather(temp and humidity)
Wood has to be finished(painting hides the grain. Clear finishes have to be periodically renewed)
Wood doors are heavier.
Wood door parts can separate due to weather.
Real wood doors are much more expensive that clad doors.

Fiberglas doors are simply wood cores covered in a fiberglas shell. They can have asimilar look to wood, but have to be painted/stained to have a grain pattern. Like vinyl siding having a texture like wood but the look of plastic.

I have steel doors on my house---wood cores with a steel cover.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 12:05AM
rwiegand

R values of fiberglass doors can be significantly higher than wood (if they incorporate a foam layer), which can be very important depending on climate. Some of the better ones look pretty decent, rather than having "the look of real wood".

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:05AM
abbey_cny

I have a fiber glass door, Therma-tru. It came with wood grain appearance, and I stained it. It is my north facing front door. It opens to a covered porch and has a storm door, so no problems with weather and no problems with heat. Several contractors who have come to the house have thought it was wood and complimented its appearance. I am very happy with it for what it's worth.

Abbey

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:19PM
Donchik

My door will be facing South. And the house is in Chicago North Burbs.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:11PM
mdln

Hi Donchik, I am also in the Chgo burbs (NW).

While some fiberglass doors were beautiful to look at, they felt like plastic.

When I knocked on the fiberglass door - it sold me on replacing my wood door with another wood door.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:59PM
kudzu9

There are some good fakes, but, if you have an eye for detail, you can't mistake a fiberglass door for wood in my opinion. I don't like my house to look like it's made of plastic, so I won't use it for doors or siding.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 1:10AM
jackfre

I went with fiberglass on two of our new doors. While the locations are covered they are most susceptible to blowing rain. We have painted them red. Kind of a burgundy color and we are very pleased with them. The front dorr, which is fully under cover is Burmese Teak. A friend built it and it is beautiful. Surprisingly, while I would always vote for wood doors, I saved a bit of money with the FG and they look fine and they are more stable. It's about the only place I can say that in this re-model;)

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™