replacing a wood burning fireplace with ?

newenglandladybugFebruary 7, 2013

Hello,
After 5 years of hardly any fires in this fireplace because it draws every last ounce of heat from the room, we are planning to convert over to a vented gas insert. It is shaping up to be quite an undertaking. I have done some preliminary shopping around, and with the relative height of the top of the arch (37.5 in from the base) and its close proximity to the mantel, we are looking at likely having to fill in the top of the arch to convert the shape of the opening to something more rectangular or at least less tall. Though I expect budget will dictate otherwise, I have some fantasies of covering the brick with stone veneer as well.
What I'd really love to hear is suggestions on what to do with the wood storage area to the right of the fireplace. I've been told that I can't "center" our new fireplace in the middle of the mantel (can't flex the pipes for the flue), but it seems like such a wasted space. One fireplace store manager suggested getting some nice birch logs and sitting them there decoratively -- to me that seems like a last ditch idea. Would welcome any thoughts.
Cheers!
(PS: the dog bones are not in lieu of birch logs :) )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjdabomb

Can ya stick a nice wine/beverage cooler in that storage space? Could look nice? ;$ tough one.

Maybe put in a wood burning insert thereby keeping the storage space?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
erinsean

We had a wood burning fireplace with insert in and changed it to a gas insert.....gas heat when up the chimney as bad as the wood heat did. So we changed it to electric insert and that is what we have now. Our firebox was square so I am thinking you might need a peice of black metal to make the archway sqauare. Also on the log side, put the peice of black metal there and put doors on it for storage. By the way, we had glass doors on our fireplace.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
Quartzite vs granite countertops
We are building a house. I have always wanted to use...
libby-momsy
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
ylmzm
Cost to build cabinets/shelving
I have two unrelated cabinetry projects I'd like to...
noreastern
Sponsored Products
Jefferson Fireplace Mantel
Signature Hardware
Trumpet Blow Poke with Duck Head End
Signature Hardware
Dimplex Upton Electric Fireplace - GDS25-1253E
Hayneedle
Sandro Walnut Electric Fireplace
Overstock.com
Rooster Fire Screen
Overstock.com