Knock down or smooth walls and ceiling?

fishdelasolFebruary 1, 2008

In our quest to find our first home to buy, we have been seeing a lot of different features in the homes we look at. While I hate popcorn ceilings, it seems that many people are going towards knock down texture instead of smooth walls and ceilings when they get rid of the popcorn.

Do you think that knock down will be timeless or will it be undesirable in the next few years? Is it better to just go with smooth? I ask because we will want to remove the popcorn should we buy a house with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missjulied

Have you ever tried to paint a wall with texture? It's a huge pain, and takes a lot of paint. Something to consider...

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 10:24PM
mightyanvil

Ceilings should be smooth unless you live in the southwest. Be careful if you attempt to remove popcorn ceiling spray, if it is old it could be hazardous to your health. Have it tested first.

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 5:43PM
Shannon01

In CA all the houses are basically knockdown from what I see. I see lots of smooth in the rest of the country. Each has it's issues. Flat shows every flaw. Textured hides a multitude of sins. The main issue with painting tex, at least what I have come across, is that the builder only lightly sprays the white paint on the walls directly onto the texture- which is joint compound material. This is very absorbant so when you do your own paint, it take like 5 coats and you still get little spots of white. And the higher your ceiling it seems like the builder sprays even less paint. My 25' ceiling barely had any paint on it. But each time I change the room colors, like kids rooms, it takes less coats. You need a thick nap and either get an electric paint roller or keep the roller nice and wet. Do several light coats. You will be frustrated trying to do two thick coats.

If you plan to wallpaper flat is obviously better. I have finally accepted the fact that any textured wall needs three coats of joint compound to smooth out. I tried using that thick liner paper- horrible. The edges do not lay flat, so not only do you see the lines where the liner matches up, it is all lumpy. Three coats of compound is literally the only solution and a 5gal costs about $10.

Patching is not difficult if you take your time. I have moved a light fixture and because I took my time blending you cannot see the original hole.

So there are issues with both. Flat may be simpler but some do not like the look of flat. Often times folks will do a venician plaster look to take a way from the flatness. But that is a whole other topic.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Having builder install base kitchen & then immediately remodeling?
I probably would've preferred to buy an old house to...
Melanie Campbell
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
lucas_tx_gw
Sponsored Products
Wall Mounted White Ceramic Soap Dish
TheBathOutlet
Ash Carl 'Water Lilies' Metal Wall Art
Overstock.com
Kichler Tannery Bronze Bath 4-Light
$85.00 | PLFixtures
Designers Fountain 4967 Opal Essence 2 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 4967-CH
$66.20 | Hayneedle
Marais Teak/Stainless 3-Tier Corner Shelf
$479.00 | FRONTGATE
Semi-colon
Grandin Road
Deer Silhouette Door Hanger
$34.99 | zulily
Access Gyro 14 3/4" High Brushed Steel Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™