Help Please with New Addition

deborah7425February 17, 2010

Our mentally challenged son has moved back in with us into our small retirement home, so we're in the process of turning the previous attached garage into a bedroom, den for DH, a hallway to the new garage, and a small bathroom. Any suggestions with lighting, flooring, storage, electricity would be Greatly appreciated before DH puts up the walls and insulation. Hope my hand sketched diagram makes sense; we couldn't afford an architect.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Try posting the sketch again.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 10:11PM
worthy

A friend's son was similarly diagnosed. Rather than institutionalizing him, his siblings begged that he be raised at home. A big problem the parents had was damage to the home. Once the son found that he could easily put a hole in drywall, he would start poking and persist till whole walls had to be replaced--only to have the process start over. But if your son has been living on his own, or successfully in a group home, hopefully this is not an issue.

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 4:58PM
sweeby

Is your son able to help with the construction work? (Ours does and is actually very helpful.) Unless your son's issues are unusual (flourescent light sensitivity, noise sensitivity, known anxieties) the only other suggestions I would have would be the same as for any other living space -- materials that are easy to clean and hard to damage. I especially like natural materials that age well -- solid oak, brick, etc.

Since it sounds like he's an adult, the type of design that allows him as much privacy and independence as he can safely handle would be appreciated.

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
Sponsored Products
Charleston 20-Piece Flatware Set
Ballard Designs
Soraya Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - LIGHT GOLD
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Fresca 50" Wide Bathroom Medicine Cabinet w/ Mirrors
DecorPlanet.com
Glass Note ENERGY STAR 14" Wide Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Atlantis Tubs 4478PCDL Petite 44 x 78 x 23 - Inch Oval Air & Whirlpool Jetted Ba
Beyond Stores
Virgo 2-door Floor Cabinet
Overstock.com
'Homebrew Guidelines' Print
$26.99 | zulily
Purple Peaks Rug
$65.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™