Removing ceiling lath & plaster when putting up new walls

pbufordjrFebruary 12, 2011

I am moving around 2 bedrooms and a bath in a remodeling project on an older home to reposition the stairway. I have already gutted the walls but was wondering if I should remove the plaster and lath ceilings before I put up the walls?

The ceilings are fairly solid but I was thinking about removing them because the electrical wiring now comes into the walls in this home from the attic and I thought it would make rewiring easier. And thought it would be better nailing the top plates of the new walls directly into the ceiling joist instead of through plaster and lath.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should remove the ceilings or not that have done work like this before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

If the new walls are not bearing walls and the ceiling is firm I would not disturb anything! Why make more work for yourself. The new walls just need to remain upright and stable and screwing them through the top plate to the joists or blocking between joists is fine. Drill hole for wires into top plate,go up in attic, install your J-boxes and drop wires down.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 8:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbcollins

Wow, you sound just like us. Me moved a bathroom, and moved some walls in a 110 year old house.

I will never tear out plaster and lathe again unless I have to. Ours was nasty because the house had been heated with coal stoves for most of it's life. The walls were full of black soot.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
lucas_tx_gw
Moving window vertically
Hello - we are purchasing a house and trying to think...
bethanympuku
Quartzite vs granite countertops
We are building a house. I have always wanted to use...
libby-momsy
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Sponsored Products
Federal Restoration ADA Wall Sconce by Minka-Lavery
$100.00 | Lumens
Way of Life Sign
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
XtremeAIR 30 Inch Wall Mount Stainless Steel Range Hood PX01-W30
eModern Decor
STEP MINI - Lacquered Step Ladder/Folding Chair - Design House Stockholm
$370.00 | HORNE
Cube Wall Sconce
Lightology