Trim pine tree before painting the house exterior?

janesylviaFebruary 19, 2012

We have two pine trees right next to our house inside our backyard. The two trees have grown much taller since we moved in 8 years ago. I'm planning to have the house exterior painted. Do you think I need to have the trees trimmed before doing the painting or just let the trees keep growing taller?

Thank you very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesigns_gw

If they are close enough to the house that any of the branches are touching, you need to asses their position. If they are closer than 10' to the house, they need to be removed, not trimmed. Pines are not small trees and planting them too close can damage your foundation. If they are just large trees planted 10' or further from the house and some of the lower branches are drooping, then yes, get a professional arborist to limb them up and thin them out.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 8:05PM
janesylvia

Thank you very much, GreenDesigns.

One pine tree is 4'5" to the house, another is 10'10" to the house. I'll call a tree service. Wow, removing a tree would be expensive. A friend of mine had a tree removed, and the cheapest quote was $2000.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 2:59PM
live_wire_oak

I'll go further and say that 10" is too close to the house for something like a large pine tree or any other large growing tree. I would have them both removed. Pines and other shallower rooted trees can most definitely lift your foundation. We had to have a 25' sycamore tree removed that was about 12' from our barn. For a sycamore, that's not that large or that old, but it had already cracked one corner of the barn's slab. It cost us around $800 to do it safely, but since it was so close to the barn and only 20' from some utility wire, it was totally worth it to have a professional do it.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 4:04PM
Fori is not pleased

What species pine are they? Some are not inappropriate for close to the house. I'd get an identification before doing a removal. In the garden part of the GW forums is an "ID my plant" forum. Maybe you'll get lucky. :)

Even if they don't need to be removed, you'll want them trimmed so that they aren't close to rubbing the house, regardless of whether or not you're painting.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Learning to read plans and drawings
We are embarking on the design phase for a remodel...
Susan Taylor Brown
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™