laundry/pantry addition

treeskateFebruary 6, 2009

I'm trying to locate an article from Fine Homebuilding (maybe 2 years ago) that featured pantry designs and one photo was perfect for what I want. I can't find it on their web site. It was a square room that had a washer/dryer on left side, then open shelving above counters on the back wall and on the right side.

Does this ring a bell with anyone??

I currently have a tiny hallway off the kitchen that has a door to the garage, a broom closet, door to half bath and door to deck. (1952 colonial house.) I'm struggling with the 2 floors down into the basement for laundry and want to add a pantry/laundry room. GC recommends enlarging half bath (1.5 bath houses don't sell well even tho I don't plan on moving) to a full bath (shower), then add pantry/laundry off a hallway (hall would have hooks for coats) and then hall would end in a small room addition rather than a screened porch that I want.

The garage and half bath are attached to the 2 story house and there is an alleyway in the basement where all the heat and water pipes go to the half bath, plus a window to the outside that would be helpful for additional piping needed. He said addtion could be done on pilings - don't have to have a full basement for this new addition.

Just wish I could find that darn picture!!! But if you have any other thoughts to share, bring them on.....I am single, no kids, don't entertain, etc, but do a lot of yard work, snowblowing etc. and am getting near retirement so want to start making the house easier on my knees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Check your local library for back issues of the magazine.
Ron

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 6:56PM
treeskate

Yes Ron, I plan to go the library, but just thought I might tickle someone's memory.......don't know if the library will want to bring 2-3 years of issues out of storage in one trip.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 7:13AM
treeskate

Update - went to library and their stock only goes back to 12/03....wouldn't you know the article I wanted was the month before. So I ended up doing free 2 week trial to FHB and got the article and printed it!!!

For anyone wanting this great article it is in FHB 11/1/03 #159 "Hard-Working Pantries" in case you have a friend that keeps his/her back issues.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Renovation costs per square foot, Miami, Fl.
Can anyone give me an idea about renovating a 1972...
Gayle Atlas
Learning to read plans and drawings
We are embarking on the design phase for a remodel...
Susan Taylor Brown
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™