counter height table with 8 foot ceiling

bernisudsApril 20, 2013

Thinking about replacing kitchen table with "pub style" or counter top height table. We have an 8 foot ceiling. Will this look OK? Are these type of tables designed for larger type ceilings? The fixture above the table is rather large. See photo. Not changing fixture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

They aren't that comfortable to sit at for extended periods, or even briefly if you are young or old. The bonus is that most people won't spend as much time eating. The downside is that your family interaction may suffer from not spending as much together time at the table.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 3:52PM
lascatx

I disagree. We've had one for 10 years now and spent many hours at it. You can sit at any that you are considering for a bit and have a bit of conversation -- check your messages or whatever, and test the one you are looking at. Like any other furniture, some is very comfortable, some is not.

As for the height, people have counters and islands with 8 foot ceilings, so unless you are incredibly tall and long-bodied, that shouldn't be a limitation.

As for your light fixture, you'll have to measure it. If your table is about 36" in height, you typically want at least 30 inches above the table to the bottom of the fixture. That can vary a bit, but you should have 2 to 2-1/2 feet for a fixture.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:04PM
will2kz

Second the notion about them being fine for comfort. If you get hard bar stools, then no, but the right chairs with foot rests work fine.
I, however, hate sitting at the table for more than an hour especially if full of dirty dishes and food. Move the conversation to the living room, and lets get that mess cleared out!

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:56PM
sandesurf

Sorry, can't see the ceiling, but it's 8'. No problems at all.
Comfortable too, and we're not that young. :)

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Need advice on Backsplash
I am a chef and caterer--I'm just finishing up a large...
avolab
How to view older (undamaged) Gardenweb threads in Google cache
I’m posting this to create a link to refer people...
mudhouse
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™