kitchen cabinet trim removal

suzenlaFebruary 20, 2008

Hi, I bought a home that was built in the early 70s and want to paint the kitchen cabinets. First I need to remove the molding on the door and drawer fronts. Does anyone know how this can be done without totally destroying the surface? Thanks, Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

The molding is probably pin nailed on, if you're lucky. Pin nailed and glued if you're not. Take a flat blade and run it around the perimiter of the molding, breaking the top coat seal. Then take a sharp chisel and gently tap around the perimiter of the molding, keeping the chisel flat against the door slab. The molding should release from the slab if it's only nailed. If it's also glued, it can pull up the wood from the slab, damaging the surface.
Ron

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 8:35AM
Shannon01

Why are you removing the trim?, do you not want it on the doors anymore. Because you can sand and paint them with the trim still on. Hope this does not come across as a dumb question. If you are wanting the trim gone, above instructions sound right on to me.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 2:40PM
suzenla

I want to remove the trim because the design is definately "70s". I am trying to salvage the cabinets because they are in great shape.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 4:17PM
sierraeast

What was wrong w/ the seventies? Polyester,disco and lava lamps. If you leave the trim, you might start a 70's throwback movement. Who knows!

Take Ron's advise!

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™