Paint Color Help

janinnc123February 28, 2012

Hi,

I am a new member of the forum. I recently bought a home and need to paint my living/dining area. I have tried painting sample boards and viewing them in the room but am still struggling with being able to pick the right one for the room. The space is about 20x13, with medium oak hardwood floors on half the room (dining area) and a cream/grey/brown variegated carpet in the other half of the room (living area). There is very little natural light - two east-facing windows with a large shade tree blocking the light and a north-facing bay window that also receives no direct light and is about 20 ft. away from the next house. The room is not furnished yet, so no worries about needing a color that matches the furniture.

I have been looking at Benjamin Moore colors. I want to lighten up the room (previous owner painted the walls dark blue)preferably with an off-white or light neutral color, but have heard that whites and light greys tend to look "dirty" in rooms with little natural light. I don't mind a creamy look to warm up the space, don't want something that looks too yellow or pinkish.

Some colors I've been considering include BM Mannequin Cream, Linen White, Navajo White, Manchester Tan. I haven't ruled any of them out but with the overwhelming dark blue on the walls I have trouble getting a true feel for any of them. I would be grateful for any suggestions of BM colors that may work in this room, or pictures of rooms that also receive little natural light.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmc01

You'd be better off posting this in the Home Decorating forum...and add pictures!

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 5:59AM
More Discussions
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Potential Contractor wants to have my SS Number ?
Good morning everyone! I'm in the process interviewing...
Marina Yashmanov
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Sponsored Products
Axis 71 | Memory XXS Votive Holder
$200.00 | YLighting
WallsNeedLove Indian Elephant Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP43-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Glitterazzi International Greece Santa Ornament
$64.95 | FRONTGATE
Alto Chocolate Caramel Two Light Table Lamp
$248.40 | Bellacor
Parkfield 4Lt Wall Vantiy Brushed Nickel Etch
PLFixtures
LBL Abbey Grande 6 1/2" Wide Blue-Amber-Red Glass Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Magic Garden Standing Mirror
Classic Hostess
Thomas Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Covington Wall-Mount 3-Light Outdoor Painted B
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™