Free Legal Advice?
Thankfully, this question isn't for me, but a friend has found himself in a messy situation and can't seem to find his way out. The situation is this:
- He and girlfriend buy house together.
- The down payment and money for upgrades comes from him.
- He pays the mortgage, and his name only is on the mortgage.
- Both of their names are on the title.
- Then comes the nasty breakup.
- She moves out, her name is still on the title.
- Equity is probably not much; may be negative.
- Apparently, she is willing to walk away, but neither one can come up with $900 to have her name removed from the title. (It costs that much?)
- He's moved on and has a new girlfriend.
- OLD girlfriend is NOT happy about that and has gone borderline stalker on him.
- She says that if he allows new girlfriend to stay over that there will be He!! to pay.
- She also claims she has the right to go into the house whenever she wants to make sure he is taking care of it.
- He's worried she may shred clothes, smash the electronics, etc.
- He wants to change the locks and she says he'd better not.
Anyone know what his legal rights are? Hers? (They're in Texas)
Wouldn't a simple quit claim deed (available free online) be sufficient to end her legal involvement, assuming she's willing? I don't know where the $900 came from, but it's not a 'buy out' price.
I know this isn't really on topic -- but I know there are some smart people here, and someone is likely to have a good idea. The obvious solution -- pay to ask a lawyer won't work -- no money.