Negotiating lot

mkiv808August 19, 2009

I put down a deposit on a new construction home a few months back. It's being built now. It was heavily discounted due to its location within the development. It's closer to a semi-busy street at the edge. Not the best spot.

In fact, I've decided that I'd rather pay more for another spot. An identical home is being built in the far corner that's a much nicer spot and more isolated.

I got mine at 340k with options. The other identical unit is being offered at 400k with 10k in options (mine has 20k in options). Thing is - they've been trying to sell that unit for almost a year. And nothing.

I'm thinking I could get them down. Any advice on negotiating? I'm going in with the mindset right now that I'll spend 370k, 380k tops for the unit with the exact same options as the 340k I bought.

Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrealestateguy

I doubt they will let you out of your contract. Your home is partially built. They realize that they can't even sell the home that is on a premium lot, and you want to leave them holding a partially built home on a crappy lot. I think your chances are nil, but you might as well ask.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 7:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mkiv808

They are open to switching. These are townhouses. My unit has nothing "special" built into it yet that they couldn't resell it, and it would be easier to sell at its lower price point. A lot more demand than the other unit.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
Purchasing a Home with a Converted Attic
My bf and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom with room...
bellemorte9506
Preparing to list starter home w/o dishwasher etc.: how big a problem?
When I bought it and redid the kitchen, I replaced...
gramarows
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™