Shorten half wall?

randekaspFebruary 20, 2013

Bathroom down to studs. Shower has one half wall that has unfortunately already been set with concrete. I think it is 3-4 inches too high, which doesn't seem like I should worry, but has ramifications for rest of small room. Is it possible to shorten/ shave without demolition? Thank you..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lyvia

This is confusing - esp. without pictures. Removing part of a wall is demolition, no? and it depends what is in the wall. Where is the plumbing?

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:40AM
randekasp

Thank you. I apologize for confusion; posted in haste- always a mistake.
The wall is 45 inches tall as is, without topper/ tile. Intuitively, it just feels too tall for the small space, as well as complicating plan to have shower tile (white subway) continue around room at same height. I realize that this would bring the niche to top of half-wall, thinking this is not a problem. ?
Other options that I can think of would be to tile entire area, tile outside half-wall, or simply drywall outside of shower. Facing side of room is 6ft long double vanity that will have same counter material (quartz) as shower niche as well as quartz backsplash, or white subway tile backsplash. Thank you. If you can follow this i am indebted! Can you tell that I am a bit overwrought? :)

This post was edited by randekasp on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 16:43

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:34PM
hosenemesis

You should ask the person who put it in what is involved in lowering it. I don't understand why it would complicate the tiling situation. If you imagine tile going up all of the bathroom walls with tile to the same height as the pony wall, isn't that good? I think it would look nice.
I think it looks a bit tall too, but it may be necessary to avoid splashing the toilet. It's hard to tell from your photo.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
lucas_tx_gw
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Stucco On French Door Installation
Hi, I am replacing a window with french doors in the...
shaklee3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™