Load-bearing wall support

PatricioJ1February 12, 2013

I'm trying to open up one side of my stairwell leading to the basement. It's a load-bearing wall because a joist rests on the top plate. However, the joist runs parallel to the top plate, not perpendicular. So my question is: how am I suppose to support that joist when I go to install my beam?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Just because the wall you are removing is under a floor joist, does not necessarily define the joist or wall as load bearing.
If there is a wall above this joist, in standard framing, the joist would be doubled, there-by transferring the load created by the wall to it's bearing ends.
If there is not a wall above, the wall in the basement could be a natural partition intended to define a separate space in the basement/

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgilcarter

Unless you are very confident (and competent) in structural design and analysis of wood framed walls, get an engineer pr an architect to look at your wall before doing anything.

While floor joists parallel to a wall often mean that the joist load is being carried by the supports at the ends of the joists, there could easily be a framed wall and/or posts above the wall in question that are bearing on it. It that case it would be good practice to double up the joist between the two walls, but who knows what the framer may have been thingking?

Much better to get a trained professional to evaluate the situation.

Good luck on your project.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
Kitchen cabinets
Can someone here give me the names of a few sites for...
Optimist999
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™