taping a corner where plaster meets drywall

arnold4321February 27, 2010

I have a crack along the ceiling of a bedroom where a plaster wall meets a drywall ceiling. The crack was there when I moved into the house a few months ago. Looks like whoever taped the joint didn't do it right, but I'm not sure what they did wrong.

What's the best way to tape an inside corner where plaster meets drywall? Will paper tape work on plaster? Obviously it will work on the drywall side.

Are there any other products I should consider that will fill the crack and let me sand & paint over top? The crack is about 1/16 wide and about 15 feet long.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I always spray, roll or brush a bonding agent (Link or Plasterweld) into cracks or old plaster edges before taping. I embed the tape (paper for corners) in a setting-type compound, like Durabond 90 (sets in 90 mins or less). So the second coat can go on the same day. For second coats you can use another setting-type compound, Easysand (setting time @ 90, 45, etc), or regular green-lid drywall mud. Finishing touches with regular mud, for ease of sanding. Since it's a ceiling corner, it would be all right to use the dust-reduced type of mud, which I do not recommend for general work as it is very soft, but at a ceiling it wouldn't see any rough handling. It could, of course, all be done with ordinary green-lid mud, but I have had a great track record with durabond for old plaster repairs.

    Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I have been told that fiberglass tape is better for a plaster and drywall joint.I would do all else exactly as sombreuil posted.

    Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 5:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The biggest problem with joining to old plaster is that it sucks moisture out of the compound so rapidly the setting compounds do not set correctly, and the pre-mixed mud does not stick to it very well, even with e bonding agent.

I use a bonding agent to cover large ares of old plaster, but getting it into a crack is so hit or miss it is rarely worth the trouble.

If you dampen the old plaster then wipe off any surface water after about 5 minutes the new setting compound will not get sucked dry and will set up properly.

For a small crack a hand spray bottle set to create a narrow spray (almost a stream) to get into the crack works well.

    Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 11:33AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™