Pigma Pen question

grammypAugust 19, 2012

I have used Pigma Pens to make labels for most of my quilts and never had any trouble. But tonight I did a test on the muslin I am using for the Pine Tree quilts. I pressed it as always, but on a hunch I wet it just to see if it would bleed, and it did. Could it be the muslin (was prewashed, but did have BestPressed on it), an old pen, or not let set long enough? I don't want to put a lot of work into the labels only to have them bleed when washed.

beverly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

Forgot to say I usually use a black pen, but the test was done with blue. Could that make a difference?

beverly

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 11:23PM
magothyrivergirl

I think the Best Press prevented the ink from absorbing into the muslin fibers. In other words, the ink was sitting on the layer of starch. Test without the Best Press.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:11AM
grammyp

Did a test, and it bled as I was writing on the fabric. May just have to do it all in black.

beverly

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:59AM
gininmn

If I had that problem, I'd contact the Pigma Pen company and tell them about your problems. They need to know that their products aren't as advertised and should send you some replacement pens. Or at least, they should work on those colored pens to make sure they are permanent as they say.

I realize that doing this and getting feedback might take longer than you have right now. Good luck on your quilt label. BTW, your tree quilt is beautiful and I love Sylacausa Bill!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 12:39PM
rosajoe_gw

Beverly,
I have always used Pigma pens too and I have never had a problem.

I have a set that is getting pretty old - I'll do a test this afternoon and see if any of the colors bleed.
Rosa

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 1:43PM
grammyp

Thanks, Rosa. My colors are at least 6 years old. The black are new. I'm thinking that may be part of the problem.

beverly

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™