Matching solids w/prints

K8OrlandoAugust 18, 2012

Is there a way to determine which solid colors from a fabric company will match the prints from a particular line? I'm thinking specifically about Moda and their Bella Solids. I want to match the white/ivory/cream background color in Moda's Ruby prints but don't know which one of the several Bellas is the best match. Is there a color code built in that would help?

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magothyrivergirl

I find Moda to be the most frustrating for matching solids. I mentioned that to you when we were grabbing fabric like hungry dogs in Lancaster! :~)

The charms I bought have a list of the fabrics by number on a sheet included in the packaging. That doesn't necessarily help you with matching a solid, unless you can shop in person, or rely on a good shop over the phone to match it for you. Fabric.com will.

I took a workshop this past year with Sandy Klop, American Jane designer for Moda; she said Moda only keeps their lines available for 6 months, then on to newer fresher colors, and prints.

Perhaps if you find a solid color card online for the year of the series you are trying to match, you may be able to find what you are looking for, and a call to Moda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda collection

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 8:56AM
grammyp

Look on the selvedge, there may be a row of colored dots. Those will be the colors used in the fabric and can be used to help with matching.

beverly

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 8:57AM
littlehelen_gw

hmmm... now that's a good question. Last week I took my moda dream on charm pack to the a quilt shop and w/ the owners assistance, we picked out 5 small prints that read like solids to accompany the prints in the pack..perhaps that's an option?
Let me know what you discover as I also hope to use my ruby jelly roll someday. love that ruby!
V.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 9:24AM
K8Orlando

OK... now I'm feeling a little dopey. Because I have jelly roll and charm pack I thought I didn't have the salvage dye dots. But I just looked and the jelly is tied with the salvage strip! Cool!

It doesn't help with the coding question but it's good to know!

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 10:45AM
magothyrivergirl

Is it the Ruby collection from Moda?
Look at Beverly's-I have been very happy with everything I buy from them. On sale too!
I'm surprised there wasn't a list of the fabric numbers in the charm pack- mine were on the backside of the sheet, not visible until I opened them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beveryl's - Moda Ruby

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 11:39AM
K8Orlando

Marsha, I have the numbers for the Ruby fabrics. I'm just trying to match up shades with Moda's Bella Solids. I was hoping there was a way to know which solids went with the prints by using the fabric numbers. Like everything that ends in -13 is an "Ivory" Bella and everything that's -15 matches "Dove Gray" Bella.

I emailed Moda but don't have an answer yet.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 4:10PM
magothyrivergirl

Here's the cream that matches.

I like the pattern too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
Sponsored Products
SomerTile 12x12-in Cuivre 1-in Amber Translucent Glass Mosaic Tile (Case of 13)
Overstock.com
Striped Pink Scallop Drum Shade 4x4x4.75 (Clip-On)
$25.91 | Lamps Plus
Palazzo Duvet Cover
$925.00 | FRONTGATE
Chesterfield Armchair in White
$809.00 | LexMod
Pelle Designs | Tall Bubble Chandelier
YLighting
Bamboo Baguette Kit
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Unfinished Bisque Half Round Closed Top Wall Sconce
$196.20 | Bellacor
15843CO Copper Kichler LED Hammered Roof Landscape Path Light