Should I be worried about this chip?

nhbasketsApril 20, 2014

Went back over to our new build house today to look at the countertops that were installed yesterday. I found a small chip in the stone against one of the walls to the left of the cooktop, maybe 5/8"-3/4" wide and coming out 1/4"-1/2". We will be installing a backsplash at some point, but not immediately due to budget. Is this chip something I should be concerned about? Also, they did not caulk against the wall. Should I leave it as is or caulk it ourselves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey

I would get the builder to do it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:18PM
nhbaskets

Zackey--do what? The caulking?

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:20PM
romy718

Hopefully one of the fabricators will comment but my inclination would be to contact the fabricator to repair the chip. No clue about the caulk.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:23PM
Trebruchet

nhbaskets:

This particular chip is so easy to fix, even a homeowner can do it.

Over-fill the chip with superglue. After it has cured scrape it to flush with a razor blade.

You'll want to do this sooner rather than later, as the chip will accumulate contamination the longer it is un-repaired.

You wouldn't be out of line to expect the fabricator to do this and caulk with paintable latex either.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:51PM
nhbaskets

Trebruchet--thanks for the super glue suggestion. Something I think we can handle, but I'm certainly going to mention it to the builder. The fabricator is over 1 hour away, so I'm concerned this would be sitting for awhile with a lot happening in the area to contaminate the chip.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:02PM
weissman

Have you closed on the house yet? If not, definitely get the builder/fabricator to fix it before closing - this is their responsibility.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:08PM
nhbaskets

Won't be closing until mid-May. I agree it's their responsibility. I'll be emailing the builder tonight. Why can't something go smoothly?

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:20PM
zzackey

Chip and caulk. I don't know if I'd try to fix it myself. If something goes wrong then you're stuck. Both our builders cut as many corners as possible. We went to the houses every day and found things installed wrong. A blue tub in a brown bathroom, A plain window instead of a half moon one and the killer was when they put the end wall of the porch in the middle of the kitchen window.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 1:43AM
More Discussions
High backsplash install quote
My contractor just gave us a quote of $2,200 to install...
leemiller
Faux marble countertops II
Here's the link to original post, but it's kind of...
lavender_lass
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™