Help with kitchen island

JJAV1234February 17, 2014

We just opened our kitchen to the dining room (you can see one dining room chair in this pic) and want to add a kitchen island with seating. We are not sure if we should do a 5' x 4' island with seating along the door/refrigerator side of the kitchen or if we should do a smaller island with seating backing up to the dining room table. Walking space is not an issue in either scenario, we are just trying to figure out which would look best in our kitchen. Is it okay to have your chairs back up to the fridge/main walking area; or best to have them backing up to the dining room table (people sitting at the island will have their backs to those at the table)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

The biggest issue is that an island will block your traffic paths for prep. We call that a "barrier island". It doesn't add to a kitchen, it makes activity worse. Draw a line from the sink to the fridge to the stove. Anything in the middle of that blocks your work. All of your work should be in a triangle one one side of the island.

Can the fridge be relocated on one of the legs of the L? Maybe where I see that tall cabinet on the left on the range leg? If not, then only a small movable type cart would be suitable, and even that will get in your way.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 11:03AM
JJAV1234

We actually relocated the refrigerator on that wall. We initially had a U-shaped kitchen and opened it to the dining room. In doing so, we had to find a place to put the refrigerator - on the other side of the cabinet to the left was not an option because that is an opening to the living room. I still want the island regardless if it blocks the triangle - I need the additional counter space and seating. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 11:31AM
jewelisfabulous

"best to have them backing up to the dining room table (people sitting at the island will have their backs to those at the table)?"

Yes, this.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:58PM
iread06

If I were you, I'd make myself a temporary island of about the size you think you want. Make the "island" out of a table or some cardboard boxes or whatever. Set it where you think you want it. Place stools (or boxes) at the counter. Work around it for a few days. Pretend you're using it. You'll know pretty quickly what will work and what won't.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:18AM
HandyMac

Why not build a mobile island? You can add locking casters and have stability and movement.

That way you can position the island for which position is optimum for the use.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Stucco On French Door Installation
Hi, I am replacing a window with french doors in the...
shaklee3
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
lucas_tx_gw
Sponsored Products
Sonneman Accanto 40 1/4" High Polished Chrome Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Hawkins 44 in. Tarnished Bronze Ceiling Fan YG2
$74.97 | Home Depot
Elegante Dark Granite 12-Inch Three Light Island Bar with White Alabaster Swirl
$486.20 | Bellacor
Mendota Urban Stone Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Inglewood 38"x 46" Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Bordeaux Beige Linen Nailhead Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™