Using pencils on fabric question

quiltingfoxAugust 4, 2011

I read in an Amish quilting book that they use a pencil to trace patterns on to their fabric before cutting it out. Have any of you used a regular #2 pencil with grey lead to trace out patterns on fabric? Does it wash out? Is there a certain type of lead pencil that should be used like an F or an H lead? I would just like some feedback on this subject before I mark on any of my fabric.

Best to you and many thanks,

Sandra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

If it's your cutting line, you shouldn't be worried if it washes out. It's in the selvedge anyway. Just a thought.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 10:20PM
bonica

If hand quilting you can stay on line and No 2 pencil marks will become a shadow that isn't noticed. If machine quilting and you miss lines the least bit they are going to show. They do not wash out. As a test I tried everything in the house and scrubbed with a toothbrush and the lines remain.
Bon
:)

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 7:47AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I've heard of a washable graphite pencil that is used for marking quilts. And have also heard good results can be had using a regular #2 pencil if the fabric is starched first so the lead is on the starch and not imbedded in the fabric.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting info

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 8:12AM
lafonda_ranch

That is interesting on the graphite pencil. For the cost, I might have to try one. I normally use the heat/water erase pens for my hand work. I hope to do some stencil work and would like to try something new.

Robbi

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 8:49AM
rosajoe_gw

I use a number 2 pencil to lightly mark quilt tops and it always washes out. Never thought about it before Sharon's post, but I use a lot of starch, so maybe that's the reason lol!!!!
And I never iron over the markings before I wash the quilt.
Rosa

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 11:38AM
magothyrivergirl

There is alot of talk about using the Frixion gel pens made by Pilot for marking quilts - Do some research before you use them - the ink never really goes away or washes out - it disappears with heat and returns with freezing temps.
I read where a lady living in the midwest tested it over the winter buy putting her finished quilts in her car & yup-the markings returned only to disappear again.
These are being promoted at quilt shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: about Frixion Pens

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 12:38PM
quiltingfox

Thank you all. That is very helpful information to have. I think I may try using a regular pencil to mark on fabric that I quilt so long as I am not using it for applique or stenciling. Not in the habit of using starch, might have to get some of that.

Sandra

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 12:59PM
bonica

Great tips girls!! Use starch and don't iron!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!! Thank you Thank you! You just changed my world!
Bon
:)

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 7:52AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I have a Frixion pen with black ink but would never use it to mark a quilting pattern. True, the ink disappears when ironed but the only thing it's good for, in my opinion, is to be able to see a cutting line easier.....and that is what I use it for when my eyes are bothering me.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 8:06AM
rosajoe_gw

Sandra I use a lot of starch and glue on everything lol!!!!! I even starched the denim blocks I am making. Starch makes it so easy to match seams, easier to baste, and easier to quilt. And THEN I wash it all out!
Years ago I used one of the blue pens that washes out, I marked an area and didn't finish quilting it for months (years?? lol) and some had disappeared but most of it was still noticeable. I tried everything to get it out and it always came back. Sooooooooooooo, I learned the hard way to use a light hand when marking and wash it out as soon as I can.
First I have heard of the Frixion pen!!
Rosa

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 2:58PM
quiltingfox

Thank you all. Is very helpful to know about this stuff especially the starch. I will have to read up on the graphite pencil. Thank you bunches for your input. :-)

Sandra

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Sponsored Products
Electri-Chef Island 48 in. Built-In Electric Grill - 8800-EC-1056-I-D-48IN
Hayneedle
WAC 730 J Black Track Head for Juno
Euro Style Lighting
Hopson Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Forest Park Pet Bed by Unleashed Life Dog Bed
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Ergohuman Executive Chair With Headrest in Blue
$624.00 | LexMod