Tongue & groove on ceiling-cost?

desertfl0werFebruary 9, 2012

I'm getting mixed messages on the cost of tongue and groove on the cathedral ceiling of a 32x22 room. The materials do not have to be high end. But I am looking for something that lasts and looks good. ANy ideas on cost for a room this size? (705 sq)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Don't get messages - get quotes. At least 3 preferably. Construction costs vary greatly by region, city etc.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 8:23AM
brickeyee

"cathedral ceiling of a 32x22 room"

This does not allow an estimate of the area to be covered.

Just as with a roof, the slope must be specified to get the correct area.
You need to specify how the ceiling is laid out (equal rectangles?) and what dimension has slope, and how many feet (or inches) the slope is along that dimension.

Just as an example, if the slope is 1 foot rose in a 1 foot run, the area is around 45% larger than a the floor area underneath.

What is on the ceiling now?
One option would be to cover the ceiling with plywood, than fasten the T&G to that.
It would take much more time to try and fasten T&G only to rafters.

You could also consider beadboard 'sheets' to reduce cost if that is a look you can live with.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 1:20PM
live_wire_oak

Meeeeelions of dollarezs.

Seriously, there are only about 15 different variables to the job that you haven't listed that will factor into the price, location and actual material chosen being #1 and #2 on the list. Get multiple local bids and don't pick the highest or lowest.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 1:58PM
Jumpilotmdm

Make a visit to your local lumber yard/Home center store, if you still have one other than Lowes & HD. Pre-select a product and ask the people at the contractor sales counter for some names of installers.
What wood species? Fir? Radiata pine? Pre-finished? As live wire said, sooo many variables.....

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 1:21PM
deedles

Don't forget to check Craigslist, too. We found a great local source for our knotty pine t&g boards... much nicer quality than at the big box joints, IMO, and he was able to turn us on to a guy that could supply us with the doug fir beams for our ceiling. The price was definitely right.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
House remodel
Well I got the numbers for the remodel of my 1950s...
buckeye_11
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™