rec's for Vacuum for the rest of the place during construction

polieFebruary 13, 2012

I know a shop vac is what to use for the immediate area of construction. What vacuum cleaner do you recommend using for the rest of the place that is indirectly affected by construction during a kitchen renovation? I don't want the construction dust that will float outside the construction area to ruin my vacuum cleaner. I'm willing to buy a cheaper "disposable" brand if that's the way to go, if it's inevitable that the fine construction dust will in fact harm the innards of a vacuum.

Also, bag or no bag model? (I'd guess bagged to hold the dust.) Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Most "shop vacs" have fine dust filters available or there are also slip-ons to fit most filters.
Just empty and change them as necessary.
Or , if you insist on an upright, regular bag changes would apply to even those bought from a pawn shop.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 1:15PM
polie

Thanks, Snoonyb. I figured I'd get a Sears shop vacuum. I didn't know they could do double duty outside of the "construction zone" with a special filter to vacuum the rest of our place.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 6:08PM
mike_kaiser_gw

You might want to consider a CleanStream filter for you shop vac. They do a heck of a job but inside and outside the work area. While they're a bit expensive, properly cared for they will last for several years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gore CleanStream Filter

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 7:58AM
polie

Mike_Kaiser, thanks for alerting me about that filter. I've not heard of it before. The video demonstration on that website was pretty impressive.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 10:31AM
sombreuil_mongrel

You might want to consider investing in a top-notch shop vac with a HEPA filter, like a Fein or a Festool. You won't even think of them as shop vacs, just the most powerful vacuum you've ever used. And they have real bearings in the motors so you won't be deafened when operating them for an hour at a time.
Casey

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Sunroom or Diningroom
I just finished remodeling my kitchen; which has two...
mydestiny1
"Green" Remodeling - where to start?
We would like to remodel using materials and processes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™