Front Porch Design

confused_newbieFebruary 28, 2014

Hi all,

We are in the middle of a remodel and we have to figure out what to do with the front porch. The house is mostly contemporary inside, with new plank siding and a new cedar front porch and a cedar/concrete post. The flagstone up front is installed 5 years ago and we are keeping them.

Our architect's plan calls for a 8'x10' concrete porch, and now we need to sort out the aesthetics. Do we pour concrete and leave it as it? Or do we match it with flagstone? What about the post; do we decorate the concrete footing with flagstone or siding or leave it? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

confuse_newbie:

You stop those siders immediately. You don't place (never pour) concrete against siding. Figure out that detail and resume.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 11:24AM
don92

What Trebruchet said. Pour the porch slab correctly first, which means take siding off, flash wall, pour slab, install flagstone and then siding. Maybe a colored stucco for the concrete post, but make sure you slope the top.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 1:47PM
confused_newbie

Thanks - that's exactly why you see the sidings are finished on the sides but not so up front. :) They realized that they need to pour concrete so they stopped doing the sidings.

don92, what does it mean to "slope the top"? You mean sloping the top of the concrete post?

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 12:37AM
don92

Yea thats all I meant. It would shed water and look better IMO. I also think stucco there would add another element, a rough texture to compliment the rough texture of the cedar.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 7:35AM
confused_newbie

Thanks! The 8'x10' will be a 4" platform, and my contractor suggested concrete. I am worried that it will look weird on the flagstone...

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:25AM
jcalhoun

You can get custom colored cement with different colors and patterns. A brick, smaller stone or outdoor tile would look good as a porch and go well with the flagstones.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 4:00AM
More Discussions
Just on observation
Just observing these forums I see the word "cheap"...
Precision Carpentry
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
ylmzm
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™