Mid century kitchen and a question

cluelessincoloradoApril 24, 2014

Thought some of you might enjoy these photos from a house for sale near me. For you historical kitchen experts, what were the cabinets under the main uppers used for? And look at all the drawers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glitter_and_guns

I am no expert at all, but my husband's grandmother had those in her kitchen and she stored spices in them. The doors on hers slid from one side to the other. Those look as if they fold down? My brother would love that kitchen!

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 3:17PM
greenhaven

I would totally guess spices. I have actually considered something like that for our vitamins and whatnot that I do not care to keep out on the counter anymore. Saw some at HD the other day. Hmmm...

Cool kitchen!

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 3:24PM
cluelessincolorado

Thank you. I thought they looked like they folded down as well. Greenhaven, I am beginning to think you like a challenge...The basement of this 1918 house has an apartment with what I imagine is the original kitchen.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 11:08PM
Texas_Gem

Cool looking, though I must say the space between the uppers and lowers in that second picture looks unuseable.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 11:45PM
schicksal

VERY cool - both of them!

The second one reminded me of a house I looked at a bit over a year ago. It had the original 1938 kitchen and a sink quite similar to the one in the older kitchen picture above. The cabinets were nice and had glass inset.

It's back on the market now and they're having trouble selling it. The new kitchen looks like pretty much any low end spec house from the last 10 years. They went too far and left no original character from the place whatsoever.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 7:43AM
greenhaven

Texas_Gem said: "Cool looking, though I must say the space between the uppers and lowers in that second picture looks unuseable"

Indeed. Very similar to what I had in our 1947 home with original kitchen; shallow base cabs and low uppers; very unusable.

clueless in colorado said: "Greenhaven, I am beginning to think you like a challenge..."

LMBO! Ya think? ;o) Seriously, though, the ones I saw I think were Rev-a-Shelf and simply attached to the underside of the cabinets. Pretty slick!

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 8:45AM
nosoccermom

Texas_Gem said: "Cool looking, though I must say the space between the uppers and lowers in that second picture looks unuseable"

So true. But looking at all the junk on my counters, this may just what I need.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Silestone lena
Has anyone used Silestone "Lena" quartz in...
magnoliahome205
Fabricator questions
We were just told that the fabricator our contractor...
tea4all
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Kitchen design assistance - Small kitchen
I have a 12x13 foot kitchen with way too many entry...
schuste1
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Sponsored Products
Sample3d Interlace White Carreratile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Domitalia | Media Portable Desk
YLiving.com
Fuji Black Stacker Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Two Loma Side Chairs
$599.00 | Horchow
Rectangular Porcelain Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets