What would you do with a duvet?

marti8aAugust 23, 2011

I just pulled off the cover because it was such a pain to keep the duvet from bunching up. I will admit it was a cheap cover that I bought last Christmas when company was due in and I didn't have a quilt for my new guest bed.

So, I can make a better quality duvet cover, or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

Make a quilt top for one side (or both!) and use great backing fabric for the bottom side. Just like a quilt but not quilted; actually, more like a giant pillowcase. Sew some ties onto the duvet and corresponding ties into the inside seams of the cover so you can secure the duvet to the cover. That prevents bunching.

Kate

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 6:08AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Sorry to be so dumb, but specifically, what is a duvet?

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:13AM
toolgranny

It's a cover for a featherbed/comforter, Sharon.

I've been dying to make a king size duvet that's a quilt. I think I'd line the quilted top to protect the seams and maybe even quilt the top to a flannel lining or something so it looks like a quilt. But, turning it into a giant pillowcase is exactly what I'd do. You can close the end with velcro or buttons/snaps.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:21AM
magothyrivergirl

Someone in a class I took had made one for a teenager. She used a thin poly batting and a light backing, quilted it, then proceeded to make it a Duvet Cover pillowcase style with a coordinated backing. It was very girly pink and black and looked wonderful.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 11:14AM
magothyrivergirl

I should say, the class had nothing to do with making the Duvet cover :). In fact, I can't remember what we did in the class, but I remember the Duvet cover!

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 11:16AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Well, I know very well what a featherbed is and I would never have it on top of me like a comforter. So, a duvet is something to slide the featherbed into? And then you cover it with a sheet when making the bed?

Sorry to sound so dense.....

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 2:28PM
marti8a

My duvet is just like a big fluffy comforter. It's like a pillow only that it needs a cover to keep it clean.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:29PM
calliope

Duvets are the norm in much of Europe. I love them and they make life easy because nine times out of ten one can just wash the duvet cover and air out the duvet on a sunny clothesline occasionally! A duvet is just a fluffy comforter with a giant pillowcase over it. Washing the cover is like washing the pillowslip. It removes the body oils and one just slips the duvet (comforter) back inside the cover.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 8:18PM
faytay

Yah...*sigh*... up here I have a duvet on my bed 8-10 months of the year. I sleep UNDER it and love it to death. They kinda go hand-in-hand with 6 feet of snow ;)

Faye

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 9:31PM
K8Orlando

Sharon, a duvet is a fluffy comforter so you sleep under it, not on it. Reading back through the posts I can see how that was a little confusing. I had a down comforter/duvet and used a duvet cover to keep it clean because washing a down comforter is not fun or easy. That was before my quilting days so my covers were just sheets sewn together into a big pillowcase; I used pretty ribbon at the open end to tie it closed.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:41PM
lola99

Great ideas on this thread. We have duvets in all of our bedrooms, but I've never made a cover. One of our covers is so old that I was thinking about buying a new one. Now I think I'll measure the old one and piece a top, and turn it into a duvet cover! I've never had trouble with them bunching. Every now and then I flip it so the "bottom" is at the "top" to keep the feathers from all ending up at the bottom, but Kate's suggestion of putting ties inside may help that...

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:54PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Guess I'll just stick with quilts on the beds.

Thanks for putting up with me. @:)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Still having trouble separating my GW and H accounts
Just posting this to be sure it works after I confirmed....
quiltnhen
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™