where can I get decent closet doors?

hairmetal4everJanuary 29, 2011

Our condo has these horrible metal bifold doors (ca. 1969) on all the closets. They dent, they're ugly, and they all come off the tracks and don't slide.

However, we're at a loss as to what to replace them with. The cheap louvered wood or masonite bifold doors at Lowe's and Home Depot aren't much better. What I really want are bypass style, but the only ones I can find are either mirrored or metal el cheapos that look cheap and don't slide much better than what is there, or ultra-expensive wood ones made of cherry or mahogany, which is WAY overkill for the neighborhood.

What about just good old pine bypass doors or something?? Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billp1

Lowe's and Home depot also sell solid core doors that are special ordered. They take about three weeks to deliver. You can spend a lot if you want . They do have a lot of different finishes and designs.

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 1:50PM
brickeyee

You can also look at Johnson Hardware.

They make a lot of different door hardware, including bypass door and folding.

You can then order slab doors and hang them as desired.

The Johnson hardware is much better than the cheap stuff that seems to come with doors.

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 2:45PM
aok27502

Do you have room for normal swinging doors? We have rental properties with bifold doors on the closets. Somehow, tenants always seem to tear them up. In one unit, we removed them from one closet and installed normal double swinging doors. We had to do a little bit of carpentry work to add a frame, etc., but it wasn't all that much work. I was pleased with the results.

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Clueless - help me decide on floorplan!
I need help! We are renovating and adding on to a 1600...
essenay
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Sunroom or Diningroom
I just finished remodeling my kitchen; which has two...
mydestiny1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™