My Deer Leaf Motif Baby Quilt

quiltingfoxAugust 3, 2012

This is the Deer Leaf Motif baby quilt that I designed, drew free-handed based on a photo of a Leaf Quilt that my great-grandmother made before I was born. The leaves are machine appliqued and in the border are small leaves stitch in by hand, and my M-I-L (baby's great-grandmother) and I hand quilted this quilt in January 2012. This baby quilt was made for my great-nephew as his dad likes hunting, thus the deer scenes in each leaf.

Best to you,

Sandra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltingfox

Well let's see if the quilt photo posts this time.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:48PM
K8Orlando

Sandra, what a great job! This quilt will be cherished.

Kate

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:47PM
littlehelen_gw

I'm impressed...hand quilting...agree w/ Kate, it will be cherished.
V.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:17PM
quiltnhen

Lucky baby! Fabulous quilt and a history too.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:31PM
quiltingfox

Thank you all glad you like this quilt. :-) I am wanting to do a queen-size version of this quilt with woodland animal scenes in the large leaves for my younger brother - hoping to start that quilt in 2013, been slowly buying fabric for it as I can find it in stores. Hope everyone has a good night.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:54PM
calliope

I am such a fan of non-juvenile themed baby quilts. They transition so nicely into blankies older kids will use. Most kids are fascinated by animals, so that's a natural. This one is special.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:03PM
toolgranny

what a lovely keepsake. You did a great job.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:24PM
loisflan

Sandra, that's a wonderful quilt. You are very talented. And what a wonderful history to go along with it. And a dad who loves hunting. Great job!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:27PM
quiltingfox

Thank you Calliope, Linda, and Lois. I usually try to make baby quilts big enough for a 3 year old to use during naptime, so I guess they are more like toddler quilts than baby quilts. Including this quilt,2 of the last 3 baby quilts I have made have not had juvenile prints. One that I made in 2010 the I emailed pics of typical/traditonal baby fabric and then on a whim emailed her the apple fabric as I know she loves read and she chose the apple fabric and I made her a Card Tricks baby/toddler quilt. I'll attach a pic of it.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:52AM
quiltingfox

Here is a close up of the apple fabric Card Tricks block from my friend's 2010 baby/toddler quilt that I made. I can't remember if I posted this quilt on the GW, but in June my computer crashed and I lost all my internet bookmarks, so I don't have links anymore to my old GW posts.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:55AM
rosajoe_gw

Gorgeous quilts Sandra!!!

My family likes me to make a birth quilt with the date, time, weight etc. and then they put it in the closet lol!!!

I think a queen size in woodland animal scenes is going to be beautiful!!!
Rosa

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 1:21PM
quiltingfox

Thanks Rosa! :-) I am excited about my brothers quilt and have purchased deer, bear, wolf, and hawk fabric so far. Hopefully will start his in 2013.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 4:46PM
dan_the_mailman

Sandra, that deer leaf quilt is kewl! And, here's a thought, you could "grow" that quilt as your great-nephew grows by adding borders to it and turning the original quilt into a central medallion. Lol, as if you needed another idea for another project to add to the pile, right? As my mother keeps saying to me..."just trying to be a blessing!" It's a great quilt, and he's going to love it.
Dan

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:02PM
quiltingfox

Thank you Dan! I don't think I will be "growing" this quilt. Here is my current quilting to do list:

---Grandma's queen-size quilt (hand-quilting now 2012)
---Parents' queen-size quilt (hand-sewing blocks now 2009 -2013)
---Brother's queen-size quilt (still buying fabric - may start in 2013)
---Husband's queen-size lighthouse quilt (he says he wants it to be a 5 year quilting project - I have got to learn how to paper-piece before doing this project and I have got to draw a bunch of lighthouse blocks and design the whole thing - have bought some of the fabric - may start in 2013 or 2014)
--- Wanting to make a Lily Pond crazy scrap quilt and a Jewel Box scrap quilt both queen-size for me to keep - have started the crazy quilt blocks this summer - have only made plastic template for the Jewel Box quilt

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:52PM
quiltingfox

Oh, and I want to make a spring florals print log cabin (cheater quilt) with minky backing for the RV.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:55PM
dan_the_mailman

Lol, your list makes me tired just reading it!

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 9:56PM
quiltingfox

It overwhelms me to just think about it. So today instead of quilting I finished reading 1 book and then started a 2nd. :-)

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:10PM
magothyrivergirl

Sandra, I am a reader - it is hard to sew and read at the same time! Love your quilts! Very thoughtful keepsakes.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Free Zelda Quilt Along to start soon
http://www.quiltinglinda.com/category-quilting/2015/02/16/free-zelda-quilt-along/ For...
lindaoh_gw
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™