cost to move shed?

ferricoxideJanuary 19, 2010

I'm thinking of moving a shed (about 8 x 10 ft) in my new house. The old owners had it built right in front of the back patio and it blocks the view. I'd like to move it back 30-50 ft into the yard out of the way. Could this be done? The shed is older (probably 20-30 years old, wood frame construction with vinyl siding), supported on cinderblocks. I was thinking one could move that with a forklift or carefully wedge it onto rollers.

Any idea how much this would cost?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Get a landscaping crew on a spare saturday, and have 3 or 4 pieces of 4" PVC pipe handy. They could roll it across the yard on the PVC. Probably would run a 300 bucks more or less. (Empty the shed it first).

I moved and repositioned our 8x12 "amish built" wood shed solo with the PVC mentioned, a jack, some 4x4's for cribbing, etc. and a "come-along". It took me most of a day to get it in the right place and a bit elevated on cinderblocks....

...then it fell down the hill anyway (just kidding). It's not that hard, just takes time.

    Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

BTW, I mean a professional landscaping crew that uses real power equipment, such as for installing patios, etc. (not gardeners).

    Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 9:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"...then it fell down the hill anyway (just kidding). It's not that hard, just takes time".

I hate when that happens!

Excellent advise from homebound! With roman tecchnology frame of mind, you can move mountains. A friend has moved many heavy and large projects with metal fence posts as rollers.

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

my brother in law, myself and one other person fairly easily moved a 6 X 8 empty barn type shed around my flat yard. If your yard is flat and you have a few buddies you may want to give it a go...just need some of those pvc pipe and some wood to act as a lever, maybe a jack.

Now if you have a mean hill or its going to an area where it needs to be levelled you may be better off just calling a shed place or landscapper to have it moved.

    Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 2:22PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™