Is it hard to remove Azek? Should I insist?

parksJanuary 28, 2013

(I accidentally first posted this in the woodworking forum, so I'm reposting it here.)
We're re-siding our house with HardiPlank, but the sunroom section will have Azek-like trim around it. I told the contractor that, in keeping with the Craftsman-influenced new look of the house, I wanted a flat panel under the windows, (as in the picture below, which is not my house.) I was dismayed to come today and see that what he did was apply thin strips of molding to create boxes under each of the three window sections. I don't know what it's called, but if it were wainscot, it would be called "picture frame." Not only is it the wrong "look," it also looks cheap. My question is, how difficult is it to remove the thin strip of molding? And is this look, in the picture below, difficult to create? Is this a correction I should insist upon, or should I try to learn to live with it? (My windows are not bay like this; my windows are on a straight wall, but this is the same idea.) Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgilcarter

It's hard to know what was installed since we don't have a photo, but what's shown in the photo above is very straightforward. Did you show the installer this photo? Is the issue a misunderstanding of your verbal description?

Good luck with your project.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:15PM
homebound

More than likely, it's easy to remove. Talk to him asap.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 11:11AM
parks

I did talk to him. What he installed was base cap molding. I will load a picture. He's telling me that if he removes it, it will look too plain -- even though plain is what I want. That's the odd thing. He has created more work for himself. But I think he's doing what he knows. Most homes around here are Colonials, and he has done a lot of houses with a good amount of trim detail and I don't think he understands the Craftsman aesthetic.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 10:04PM
hosenemesis

Get it done the way you want.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 10:06PM
virgilcarter

I think you do have some issues, if I understand the photo posted above. It appears that the various vertical divisions are all very different, some much greater width than others (the vertical division at the extreme distance--a door?). Perhaps it's just the perspective of the photograph and is deceiving?

Reomoving the small base cap moulding will simplify things but it may also accentuate the diverse proportions of the vertical seperations if that's how they truly appear.

Is there additional window head, jamb and sill trim to be installed for each window? They look unfinished with obvious gaps.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 11:16PM
parks

Thanks, everyone. We're starting over. He is removing the basecap molding, and then creating four square boxes -- more of a Craftsman look. I'll post pictures when it's done. virgilcarter, I need to talk to him about trim for the windows. The picture is deceiving, though -- it's the angle; all boxes are the same size, but they're being changed anyway. Thanks, all!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
sparkleblue75
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
lucas_tx_gw
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
Sponsored Products
Taylen Rug 5' x 7'8" - LIGHT BLUE
$489.00 | Horchow
Classic Memory Foam Contour Pillow
Grandin Road
Wood Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Strand Woven Bamboo Walnut/Ashton 3/4 in.
$14.98 | Home Depot
Medallion Garden Runner 2'3" x 8'
$599.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Classical Manor Red 5' 3" x 7' 5"
Home Depot
Avanity 24-inch Mirror Cabinet
Overstock.com
Monarch Specialties I 1496 Cappuccino & Brown Leather-Look 39 Inch Side Chair [S
Beyond Stores
Slow Chair by Vitra
$3,655.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™