Rough In Opening for a Bypass Door

aloha2009January 1, 2012

We're installing two 32" doors into a rough in 64" opening. This will allow for a 1" overlap. Easy.

We're getting conflicting information though regarding the height. When we demo'd the existing closet, we measured a 83" opening and the doors were/are 80" giving a 3" opening for drywall, flooring, sliding etc. Almost everything we read it says leave 82".

The hardware we are using didn't designate anything. We're nervous about decreasing it down to 82" since it wasn't that way before, and it would be easy to shorten the distance but HELL to increase it. That said, 82" does sound better since we had a bit of a gap before on the bottom (but stayed within the guide).

Framers what do you do and why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

"We're installing two 32" doors into a rough in 64" opening. This will allow for a 1" overlap. Easy"

As long as you are narrowing the rough opening 1 inch less than typical. For 32" doors with a 1 inch lap, your width would be 65"

82" is a "standard height" for most applications. We typically went 82-1/2" but you have to take into consideration the flooring used and adjust accordingly.

This is also assuming your jamb header and legs are 3/4" frame thickness. Some pre-hungs have thicker jambs.

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 10:02AM
shw001

For two 32-inch doors, the opening should be 63 inches, to allow for a l-inch overlap.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:11PM
millworkman

64" rough opening would allow for the 2 32" doors with the 1" overlap as the 3/4" thick jambs on each side would bring the actual opening size down enough for the overlap. A finished opening of 64" would be too large.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:51AM
shw001

Millworkman, Wouldn't that result in a 1-1/2 inch overlap?

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:45AM
Jumpilotmdm

The finished opening for bipass should be 63", which is why it's hard to convert to bifold in the future.
The height can be trimmed off the doors if you get it wrong but where I learned the rough opening was almost always 2" larger than the door size. 82 1/2" would be OK too as you may want room for carpet.
Bipass hardware is usually ACME or JOHNSON. Look them up online for specs and clearances.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
? remove wood siding b4 replacing with vinyl
I plan on having my 1950 split level resided in the...
abbey_cny
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Sponsored Products
Square Twin Concealed Thermostatic Shower Valve & Divertor 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Amelia 6 Cosmic Bronze Mini Pendant
$189.00 | Bellacor
Tamburo 8 Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Cherry Glass
$373.50 | Bellacor
Hayes Contemporary Cabinet - Black Oak
Zuri Furniture
Martha Stewart Living Cabinets Seal Harbor 23 in. W x 28 in. H Surface-Mount
Home Depot
39 Inch Glossy White Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Hudson Valley Lighting | Haverhill Wall Sconce
$268.00 | YLighting
Jaipur Bedouin Amman Flat Weave Tribal Pattern Hemp/Jute Handmade Rug Multicolor
$58.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™