Fabric shrinkage-reversible?

msmeowAugust 28, 2012

Okay, my friends...is it possible to un-shrink fabric? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer!)

While making a modification to my quilting frame last weekend, my DH managed to poke his finger and bled on my leaders. I threw them in the wash along with the shorts he bled on, and of course they shrank.

They are made of pillow ticking and have the fuzzy side of Velcro along one edge and heavy duty plastic zippers inserted. Now the Velcro and zippers are buckling due to the shrinkage.

I tried ironing one of them, but it didn't seem to help much. Do y'all think steam pressing would help?

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littlehelen_gw

Well, I've never heard of un shrinking... Steam pressing I think is your best bet. Hope DH is healing! Good luck
V.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:43PM
mary_c_gw

Nope, you can't "unshrink" fabric. You can maybe stretch it out a little bit with steam ironing, but I doubt it.

This is no help now, but I wouldn't have washed the leaders at all, though I might have dabbed at the blood stains with hydrogen peroxide. It's not like the blood was going to transfer to a quilt.

Yes, my leaders have some blood drops on them - quite a few, as I'm pretty clumsy. I don't worry about them.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:57PM
K8Orlando

I think it's worth a try to get it wet - really wet - and try to stretch it back to shape. I don't think a steam iron alone is going to do it and the heat would cause it to tighten up again anyway. Cool water, stretch, block and let dry.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 8:09PM
magothyrivergirl

Peroxide is a miracle blood desolv-it ~ yes too late.
I am guessing the pillow ticking shrunk alot and got terribly out of shape. I would not recommend re-using it. It is very important the leaders be close to perfectly square and straight as possible, or the quilt backing will get loaded skewed. I recommend making a new one. They also need to line up. You will love the dead bar if that's the modification you are making. It takes tweaking to get it right, but once you do - heaven! :)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 8:15PM
msmeow

Thanks, everyone. Marsha, I was planning to make a new set...these are really out of shape.

Helen, he's fine. He doesn't even know what he poked his finger with! It was just one of those things that bled a lot.

Whatever fabric I use I will either pre shrink it or plan to never, ever wash them! I'll remember the peroxide. :)

Donna

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:11PM
mary_c_gw

I sympathize with the "bleed a lot" syndrome - DH bleeds if you just look cross-eyed at him, LOL.

I'm glad you're going to make new leaders. It's far better than spending valuable time and energy to try to make the damaged ones work again. They will never be satisfactory again.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
Washing polyester quilt tops?
Hello, My granny recently gave me a couple of quilt...
anniebeagle
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 34 in. Outdoor Black Table Lamp with
Home Depot
Fairmont Designs Lifestyle Collection Shaker Linen Hutch - Warm Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Fringed Beige Table Lamp with Sturdy Resin Base
ParrotUncle
Artifort | ABCD 2-Seater Sofa
YLiving.com
Robert Abbey Odelia Night Light White Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus