Any thoughts on Plain & Fancy painted MDF doors?

marcia59April 23, 2013

I saw a KD today that I liked. She has several cab lines, but I think I'm likely to be choosing between Ultracraft and P&F.

We really like shaker style and I think the choice will come down to natural maple or painted white. One thing steering me away from painted doors is the cracking that you get on the seams(?) joins(?) . . . the cracking where you get where two boards meet. I know that MDF inset panels are the usual method of dealing with this on a shaker door, but that I will still see cracking over time.

P&F offers a completely MDF door for painting. The KD says the advantage is that it won't crack and that the only disadvantage is that it can't be refinished.

Any other pros or cons?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rococogurl

I have P&F painted inset cabinets and no cracking after 9 years. I have a tiny bit of wear on the edge of the trash pullout and on the DW panel handle which I bought for $4 from Lee Valley and had them spray for me.

Can't help on their MDF.

I'm not especially a fan of kitchen cabinets and I only like painted. Also very critical. I've been super happy with P&F quality (even with some installation goofs which I hope you wouldn't have). There's a can of their paint in the basement (contractor urged me to get just in case) which is probably be too old to use if it's ever needed.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Kitchen finished! White cabs, quartzite, leathered black. Whew!
We moved into our new build about three weeks ago....
babs711
Gray Tile Grout - hideous HELP!!
Please help! I asked my tile guy to update our backsplash....
isheryl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™