Kitchen pass through with counter or bar height breakfast bar?

Queenbeeof5January 26, 2011

We are making upgrades to our kitchen and in the process are widening a breakfast bar pass through window to the family room to allow for 3 barstools. Breakfast bar is currently bar height, but I'm tempted to lower to same level as counter on other side to open up the two rooms more. We have a small home and will never have an eat-in kitchen, so thought this might be a way to add more function. This would be the closest thing we'll ever have to a table in the kitchen! But I'm afraid I won't like it!

Opinions? Do any of you have a same level breakfast bar in this situation? If so, could you post any photos? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shanghaimom

I'm thinking you should post the question over at the kitchens forum, if you haven't already. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions and pics!

If you don't need to hide anything you'd rather not be looking at from your family room, I'd go with counter height. It will make the counter seem much more spacious than what you would get with a smaller, bar-height "shelf".

Have you done an image search for kitchen pass-thru?

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 10:15PM
shanghaimom

here ya go....TONS on google
counter height:

another counter height bar height
    Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 10:53PM
Queenbeeof5

Oops! Thanks, shanghaimom! Meant to post to kitchen forum, but thanks so much for your input and the pics. I had not tried google image search. There ARE a TON of photos, and I think they've sealed the deal for us! We're going with the counter height bar.

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™