Stained vs. Painted Cabinets

lac153April 7, 2010

I love both looks of stained and painted cabinets, so I cannot decide. I am really leaning towards stained, but I also want to do hardwood floors. For our budget, I know we will need to do Alder cabinets. Any pictures of Alder cabinets? Or stained cabinets with hardwood floors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iceqween13

I like the look of stained because a hint of the natural wood shows through. We have cream/tan stain on maple and it's nice but we have a ceramic-look (lino) flooring.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 2:58PM
mailfox7

I have stained cabinets with hardwood floors. I am a fan of the light color that really lightens up and opens the space.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 4:14PM
scottdim

I can tell you the painted route is definitely cheaper. You don't have to worry about having as high quality wood and the painting process is definitely less time consuming than staining.

We originally budgeted to do painted cabinets but ended up going with stained. In the end, like icequeen mentioned above, its nice seeing a hint of the natural wood through the stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen!

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 5:45PM
cabinfo

Most of the manufacturers I deal with charge more for paint. Perhaps the cheaper painted doors Scott speaks of were MDF? If you're getting painted cabinets, I don't know as the wood matters. Something like oak will look a lot different than painted birch or maple (just because it's got a wide open grain) but there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between painted birch or maple and painted mdf.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 8:36PM
crazyhouse6

Here's a pic of my stained alder w/ hickory hardwood floors.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 11:57PM
susanlynn2012

Crazyhouse6, I love your kitchen cabinets and your floor is beautiful. I love how your island brightens up the kitchen and giving it that new updated look with islands a different stain/color than the kitchen cabinets.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™