How to butt a wall against a stone chimney?

timberframe4usJanuary 27, 2013

I have a true stone chimney, and I want to build a wall that butts up against it. Can anyone point me in the direction of learning how to do this? Google searches yield lots about adding a stone facing, building a wall *against* masonry (as opposed to butting the end of the wall to the irregular stone), etc. It seems that I don't even know what to search.

I couldn't decide the best forum to place this in, so if you have suggestions for a different one, I'll try that too. This isn't really a remodel, unless you count going from unfinished to finished as remodeling:) Adding a wall seems like remodeling though.

With the appropriate knowledge I'm sure we are capable of doing this. We built pretty much the entire timber frame home, including the stone chimney. (We actually would have contracted out the stone chimney, but couldn't find a mason.) Late in the process, we did have enough money that we were able to contract out a couple of other portions simply to speed things up. All that is pretty much to say, please don't tell me to find someone to do this for me (unless you happen to know just the right person in my locale!).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

I think a diagram and a picture would help here. Not sure what you mean by "against" the chimney.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:44PM
brickeyee

Learn how to scribe.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:49PM
renovator8

Combustible materials in contact with masonry chimneys are regulated by residential building codes so you should start there.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 12:44PM
brickeyee

Drywall is not a combustible material.

Neither is plaster or drywall joint compound.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 3:58PM
renovator8

I didn't see any mention of drywall or plaster.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:00PM
renovator8

I didn't see any mention of drywall or plaster.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:06PM
brickeyee

"I want to build a wall that butts up against it."

Drywall is the most common wall finish around.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 12:19PM
renovator8

I would assume any finish would be attached to wood studs but they could be metal studs. I would help if the OP would explain the issue in more detail. If the chimney exists why not post a photo?

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 2:10PM
timberframe4us

Thanks for the replies. I've been swamped with my "day job" this week and am just now getting a chance to check back. I suspect a sketch or floorplan will be more helpful than an actual photo. I'll work on providing all three.

We haven't decided on final materials, but most likely drywall. What will work best up against the chimney is a major factor in the decision. Regarding the studs, I assume those will be metal, as thats what we used near a brick chimney.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
betshsu
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Clueless - help me decide on floorplan!
I need help! We are renovating and adding on to a 1600...
essenay
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
BathroomBlues
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™