I am ridiculously happy!!

susan_onAugust 12, 2012

My grandmother used to make quilts all the time, that's what she was known for. When I went to her home city in 2001 (she died in 1986), I approached her sister to ask if she knew of a quilt of hers that might be available for sale, but she said she couldn't help me. Anyway, my brother was here last week, and he was raised by my grandmother. My brother was cleaning out his attic and he found 29 finished dresden circles completed by my grandmother and 2 that were finished except for the centers. He discussed the situation with his wife, and they agreed that he would give them to me!! I was so excited, I couldn't sleep the night he gave them to me! I'm still amazed that I got them, and they are in perfect condition. I can hardly wait to put them together (although I have to figure out to do it).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nannykins

Lucky you!
Theresa

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 4:43PM
toolgranny

What a find. This is truly a rare opportunity to finish something within your family. I did the same for a cousin who found the wedding ring pieces. It's worth doing.

If you need help as you go along, don't forget we are here for you. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 5:08PM
tuppermom

I know the feeling of getting something your Grandmother worked on. I have over 50 Grandmother's Flower Garden flowers, all handpieced by my Grandma. I have to sew the white hexagons on some of them then sew them all together.
I bet your brother got a great big hug from his very grateful sister!

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 5:18PM
quiltnhen

What a wonderful story. Enjoy!

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 6:56PM
empress

Oh, Susan, I'm so happy for you, too. Have a wonderful time planning your project and remembering your grandmother.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:28PM
K8Orlando

It's a treasure! She would be thrilled to know these blocks made it into the hands of a relative who would cherish them and use them!

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 8:25PM
bev2009

That's fantastic! The quilt will mean so much to you. The older we get, the more we appreciate these things.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 9:36PM
dan_the_mailman

Susan, kudoes to your brother for making your wishes come true! I'm excited for you! I know how excited you're feeling. A couple years ago I was talking with my mother about quilting, and she gave me some blocks made by both of my grandmothers, and some unfinished pieces also. Right now they are in one of my sewing drawers, waiting for me to put them into a wall-hanging. I want to put them together with some blocks my mother made, and make it a 3-generation hanging.
Enjoy those dresden circles, for they are indeed treasures!
Dan

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 9:58PM
ritaweeda

What a great story. You are so lucky to wind up with a family treasure like that.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 6:14AM
lafonda_ranch

Awesome!! You are so lucky! I wouldn't have been able to sleep either. Have fun :-)

Robbi

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 9:12AM
littlehelen_gw

How special for you! I look forward to seeing your touch to your grandmothers blocks!
V.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 12:32PM
littlehelen_gw

How special for you! I look forward to seeing your touch to your grandmothers blocks!
V.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 12:33PM
nanajayne

Susan, It makes my heart glad that you have the treasure that you appreciate. It brings tear to my eyes thinking about it.
I am making sure that all my family has a "piece" of me and I can only hope they will have the same fond memories that you are feeling. God Bless.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 1:54PM
loisflan

Susan, what a wonderful gift! I have some crochet work by my grandmother and I treasure it too. But this is so wonderful, because you will be able to finish your grandmother's work for her. It's very special.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 3:24PM
quiltingfox

Susan that is wonderful that your brother gave you your grandma's quilt blocks. And once you make a quilt from them that will be even more family history in the quilting to pass on to future generations.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 4:38PM
magothyrivergirl

Susan~that gift would keep me from sleeping also! Please be sure to label the quilt recording the history and timeline for future generations. This is a wonderful story and you have a very sweet brother and SIL.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 5:51PM
susan_on

Thanks everyone, I knew the people here would understand! I have a couple of cake projects to do this month before I can start on it. I should be able to start by the end of August or the beginning of September. I don't move fast because I'm a little bit of a nervous quilter, but I will probably be asking a lot of questions!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:18AM
polardreams

That is so awesome for you! When my grandmother died, my mom found a stack of grandmother's flower garden blocks she had hand pieced in a box in her storage shed. Mom is a quilter, too. She laid them out, made a few more to make it large enough, then finished it and gave it to me. I LOVE THIS QUILT! It is really special since it was made by both Mom and Grandma.

I am sure that you will do a great job and treasure it for years to come.
Sue

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
April 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Happy April Fool's Day!!! It sounds like everyone did...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
Scouting out locations for our next retreat...
I was so excited to meet up with Linda (ToolGranny)...
loisflan
Sponsored Products
Arthur Albin 'Timeless Series' 4-piece Framed Art Set
Overstock.com
Summers Gift I' by Igor Levashov Framed Art Print
Overstock.com
AE Outdoor Dining Furniture Biscayne 4-Piece Patio Deep Seating Set DPS101110
Home Depot
Spot On� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$255.95 | Bellacor
'You & Me' Personalized 6x6 Glass Keepsake
$19.99 | zulily