Prep sink size?

Kristen HallockApril 1, 2013

I am having a prep sink on my island. I really dont know what sink to buy! The cabinet is 24" wide.

I already bought my main sink - a Blanco wave undermount stainless steel sink. I was going to just get another Blanco (single bowl) sink that was smaller. But then I was looking at mrdirectint.com and the prices on that website are much less! They have sinks that look similar to the Blanco sink I was going to buy for a prep sink.

Should I stick with Blanco so that the finishes match? Will it really even be noticeable? Should my main sink and prep sink have a similar shape?

DH wants a small prep sink. but i've seen people post here that they got the largest one they could fit. I'm not sure what to do. I've never had a prep sink before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Rachiele, LLC

I would be careful about other brands of stainless sinks. I have heard that some that have been imported from China have rusted. Blanco is one of the best stainless sink manufacturers in the world, in my opinion. I would stick with them. As for size... I have never heard anyone complain about a sink that was too large!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 3:12PM
MikeJrNY

Typically bar prep sinks are 15-18" W

All stainless steel will match, make sure you are getting at least 18 guauge thickness and you should be good to go.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 3:49PM
lascatx

Your title say size, but you seem to be more concerned about price. Besides the price or matching finish, the quality of the stainless, the overall quality of the manufacture, the gauge or thickness of the metal, the use or lack of an undercoating to reduce noise, delivery and availability, return policy if the sink isn't what was expected, whether the manufacturer and the dealer will be around to deal with any issues should they arise and more should factor into your decision make sure you are factoring all these things into your decision. The sink will be used daily, probably many times daily, and for a long time. Depending on how it is mounted, replacing it could be a real pain -- and is likely to cost more than the savings you are looking at just to pull it out, disconnect and reconnect the plumbing. There are plenty of reasons not to skimp.

Personally, I would not go smaller than 15x15 (close to what I have --and a Blanco, BTW) or 16 x16 for a prep sink, and if you have room for 18 inches or more, that can be a good thing. I would also try to have an 8 or 9 inch depth to reduce splashing in a smaller bowl and to be able to fit colanders,e tc. I was trying to balance the need for work space on my island and am very happy I didn't go smaller . I might have been able to go slightly larger, but I have a 21" depth cabinet and I think we balanced everything we were working with pretty well.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 3:52PM
jennyaz

Mine is 12 x 14 (elkay). It fits a large collander, which is what I wanted min. We started out with a 24" cab planned, but ended up shrinking it to 20" when we decided on that sink, and that gave me 4" more on a drawer stack in the island. I wanted to maximize counter space. I'm happy with the size.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
Anyone have solid walnut slab cabinets?
Howdy! We're trying to decide if we want to do walnut...
Fori is not pleased
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™