Looking for large tiles (4x12)ish for backsplash

nadine33April 23, 2013

Does anyone have any pics of their backsplash using larger subway style tile approx 4x12 (or some variation), and/or suggestions of where to find them? I've found only a couple places so far. I'm looking at both glass (SUPER expensive) and ceramic/porcelain too. I've seen some with the staggered design style, but many with them lined up and that looks pretty sweet.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shanghaimom

Hi Nadine,

If you do a search on Houzz for "4x12 tile" (don't use backsplash or subway words) quite a few photos come up. The designers are usually responsive to queries, if someone hasn't asked the source, already.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:00PM
cat_mom

Daltile Modern Dimensions tile comes in 4x12 (glossy as well as matte finish). We used their Arctic White tile in that size as field tile in two bathrooms. In the guest bathroom shower we had it installed vertically (in a kind of a step pattern), and on our Hall bathroom tub surround we had it installed horizontally (brick joint pattern?).

They cost more than the standard size subways, but still pretty reasonable if I recall. We got them from a local store that extended to us our tile guy's discount since we were ordering and paying for the tile upfront ourselves.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 6:20PM
Rainwood

For our kitchen, we used a 4 x 16 white matte porcelain tile as the field tile for our backsplash, installed in a running bond pattern (not the stacked). I didn't like the stacked look as well because I was trying to emphasize the horizontal rather than the vertical. It also comes in glossy which I didn't want to use because we have honed dark granite and I wanted to keep the matte look for the backsplash too.

I love the elongated look of it, and we used a very thin natural stone as an accent stripe and some small glass mosaic tiles that tie in the field tile, floor and counter colors. It came out exactly as I pictured it (which often wasn't the case!) and I'm really happy with it. A classic, but with a bit of a twist.

If you're interested in that longer size, I can have my husband dig up the info on it. We got it through a local tile store. I don't have photos yet (it's a weekend place and I'm waiting for good weather), but I'm so glad I went with the longer tile. It's different and fewer grout lines.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 6:53PM
a2gemini

Heath also makes large format tiles - but they are expensive (not super expensive but higher than average)

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 7:51PM
karin_mt

You can get glass tiles in 4 x 12 or 3 x 12 from Villi, AKDO, and Modwalls. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but those are just the brands we looked at. We did them stacked up and love that look.

Happy searching!

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:39AM
remodelfla

We have 3x12 glass in a staggered pattern. It was just around $15 sq. ft.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:06AM
mom2sethc

Hello,

Mine are 4 x 24, rectified porcelain. Mine are parkland acadia by StonePeak Ceramics.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:03AM
mom2sethc

Hello,

Actually mine are 6 x 24, not 4 x 24.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:05AM
nadine33

Thanks everyone. I found mod walls and Akdo, but they're more then I would like to spend. Currently looking at the dal tiles.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 8:32PM
kitbun

Lowes sells

Interceramic 4.25-in x 12.75-in IC Brites White for $4.28 per square foot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78441-88283-76969535969_4294735483__?productId=4076046&Ns=p_product_price:0

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:09AM
momtofour

We have Marca Corona Italian Stone in Orca waiting to go on our walls. It comes in 4 x 12 and 4 x 4 plus some accent tiles. Someday it will be on our walls...

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:27AM
mountaineer2

I just had Bellavita Creekside glass 3x12 tile put on our backsplash. They are beautiful. Don't remember the price. They come in 8 colors I believe. HTH.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:06PM
kateydid29

Cat mom-we are going to use daltile modern dimensions for our kitchen backsplash. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your hall bathroom where you went with the 4x12 in a horizontal brick pattern? That's what we'd like to do!

Mountaineer2: I looked at every color of the bellavita bamboo glass tile-none was quite right. I was so bummed out because it is gorgeous!!! DH wanted to go with ceramic tile which is why we turned to the daltile. But if I were on my own, I'd get samples of all of the creek side to see if any would work. Sooooo pretty!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
glazzio waterfall tile
considering glazzio waterfall tile in my kitchen for...
munnybunni
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™